Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crossrulz

DMM Digitize Trigger on Voltage Level

I have an application in which I have to digitize a pulse across a shunt resistor.  The common mode voltage can be up around 60VDC.  The digitizing cards I was able to find cannot perform a differential measurement without digitizing both sides of the resistor and then subtracting.  This method causes a lot of error due to the needed voltage ranges.  I have been able to digitize some of these pulses with the PXI-4072 DMM with great success.  However, I can control when those pulses occur and setup trigger lines as needed.  Other pulses I need to digitize will occur whenever the UUT decides to put it out.  What is really needed is a way to trigger the DMM on a measured voltage level.  Just for reference, Agilent's PXI DMMs can do this.  It seems such a shame I haven't found a way to do this with NI's DMM.  As a final thought, some pretrigger data would be needed to properly capture the pulse.  Though, pretrigger data would be nice in any hardware triggered acquisition.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5