Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
ninevoltz

Hardware idea: High current switching matrix and multi-channel dummy loads

This is something I had to design for our company's test benches because nothing existed off-the-shelf. (What does exist off-the-shelf is beyond incredibly expensive.) It's a card chassis holding 4 cards with 8 individual (5 amp) relay channels per card. Each relay channel has eight selectable sources or sinks. In our case, we have V+ (from a programmable bench power supply), ground, 4 individual resistive dummy loads each with analog DAQ channel, digital input, and an external header connector. There are four programmable 50 watt resistive dummy loads ranging from 1 ohm to 255 ohms. There are also two analog output channels. All of the switches, power supply, and dummy loads are controlled from a PC serial port (I would use USB now, if I had a chance to re-design it.) The inputs are all fed to a PCI-6221 and a PCI-6514. Again, if I had a chance to re-design it, I would ditch the PCI cards and use an FPGA with several A/D converters and digital opto-isolators. I would also consider getting rid of the mechanical relays and try solid-state relays, although we have not had a relay failure in any of the 292 relays (per chassis) in over ten years of daily use.

Something like that, only more widely expandable would be very useful to anyone testing a wide range of devices with different signal connections and high output currents. I would design these myself to sell, if I were more ambitious.