Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-8531 vs PCI-8512

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I hope you can help.

I have two PCs each with a CAN Card. One is a PCI 8531 - to get this operational I loaded (3 years ago) LV2020, XNET driver with CAN compatibility layer, and am using NI Industrial Communication for CANOpen vis. I use this for motor control.

I needed a second card for another test rig - a colleague had a PCI-8512 card which I could borrow. I understand this is a 'mature' product but I believe it is supported by the same VIs (I've used the very old CANOpen library in the distant past too). I uploaded all the same steps (first with LV2023 but then tried again by going back to LV2020). As you can see from the screenshot in MAX it is not recognised as a CANOpen device like the PCI 8531 card is.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing / doing incorrectly - I'm tearing my hair out and I don't have much to begin with 😉

Thank you,

Dave

DeltaJXX_0-1680689804275.png

DeltaJXX_1-1680689910705.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,374 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DeltaJXX

PCI-8531 is a CANopen interface device and PCI-8512 is a CAN interface device.

The PCI-8512 is not a CANopen interface and it is not surprising that MAX does not list it as such.

PCI-8531 : NI Industrial Communication

PCI-8512 : NI-XNET and CAN compatibility layer (if you want to use the older CAN library)

Message 2 of 5
(3,342 Views)

Hi JB,

Thanks for this - I had misread the documentation and through it was an older version of CANOpen card rather the CAN card. 

Now to find a very very old DVD I have with the legacy CANOpen library on it!

Kind regards,

D

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,265 Views)

I have PCI-8512 working by CANopen with Kollmorgen drives, but on old windows 7 PC with old NI_CANO.dll library

I still can't find way to make it work on win10 PC. Did you have any luck?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,782 Views)

Sorry I had no luck so I managed to source a PCI-8531 and used that instead.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,775 Views)