LabVIEW Public Beta Program in 2023

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of reassigned keyboard shortcuts

The beta has introduced a bunch of new editor features which use some pre-existing shortcuts. To help in remembering what's changed (and in retraining muscle memory), I've made a little table of old vs new. Feel free to add any changed shortcuts which aren't listed.

Shortcut        | Old Function       | New Function     | Replacement Shortcut
----------------|--------------------|------------------|----------------------
Ctrl+0          | Font Dialog        | Reset zoom       | Ctrl+"  aka  Ctrl+Shift+'
Ctrl+-          | Decrease font size | Zoom out         | Ctrl+<  aka  Ctrl+Shift+,
Ctrl++          | Increase font size | Zoom in          | Ctrl+>  aka  Ctrl+Shift+.
Ctrl+Mousewheel | Change case        | Zoom in/out      | Ctrl+Shift+Mousewheel
Double-click    | Pin wire branch    | Create control / | Alt+Double-click
(when wiring)   |                    | indicator        | (when wiring)

Ctrl+<, Ctrl+>, and Ctrl+" are the new font related shortcuts but I find them easier to remember as the three key combo that needs to be pressed, so both are listed.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 1 of 7
(2,339 Views)

The suggested special characters to use for zooming and resetting would only be useful on a US keyboard Layout, where as a nordic/danish keyboard does not have the same easy access to all of these keys

JKSoerensen_0-1683146212395.png

GCentral
CTD + CLD + Pythonista
Message 2 of 7
(2,253 Views)

@JKSoerensen wrote:

The suggested special characters to use for zooming and resetting would only be useful on a US keyboard Layout, where as a nordic/danish keyboard does not have the same easy access to all of these keys

I'm sorry; I don't understand. Are you saying that you cannot use Ctrl with + (plus), - (minus), and 0 (zero) on your keyboard?

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 3 of 7
(2,211 Views)

Hello Christina. 

I was referring to the proposed replacement shortcuts from MichaelBalzer

Shortcut        | Old Function       | New Function     | Replacement Shortcut
----------------|--------------------|------------------|----------------------
Ctrl+0          | Font Dialog        | Reset zoom       | Ctrl+"  aka  Ctrl+Shift+'
Ctrl+-          | Decrease font size | Zoom out         | Ctrl+<  aka  Ctrl+Shift+,
Ctrl++          | Increase font size | Zoom in          | Ctrl+>  aka  Ctrl+Shift+.
Ctrl+Mousewheel | Change case        | Zoom in/out      | Ctrl+Shift+Mousewheel
Double-click    | Pin wire branch    | Create control / | Alt+Double-click
(when wiring)   |                    | indicator        | (when wiring)

My argument was that if NI implemented his replacement shortcuts in the last column it would be much harder to use them with a non-US keyboard, in my humble opinion. Plus and minus work fine, but it is a bit of an issue replacing old keyboard shortcuts default functionality. Would it be possible to implement a system for remapping the shortcuts for the different functions so it can be customized for the developer?

I know the last part would probably be a tall order in this part of the project but it would eliminate most of the problems with regards to keyboard layout differences and backward compatibility.

All the best

Jesper

GCentral
CTD + CLD + Pythonista
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,200 Views)

The replacement shortcuts listed are already implemented in the beta, I'm just the messenger 🙂 That said, a system to remap them would be welcome.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 5 of 7
(2,154 Views)

@MichaelBalzer wrote:

That said, a system to remap them would be welcome.

In the System Preferences you can remap the keyboard any way you want in an app dependent way.  Oh, that's right, you would need to use a decent OS on a Mac....  🙂

Spoiler
Sorry, couldn't resist pointing out that these common feature requests should be built at the OS level and not the App level.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,076 Views)

Thanks for the feedback! I want to acknowledge your request for customizable shortcuts. Although menu bar items in LabVIEW do offer customization, the font commands do not. We will take this into consideration for future releases.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,052 Views)