LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquiring Analog Input from Extech 401025 Light Meter

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using an Extech 401025 Light Meter to measure lux from various headlamps. My goal is to build a Labview program to log lux over time using the analog output from the meter. The analog output has a max output of 200mV with a 0.1mV resolution (0.1mV = 1 lux so I'm just scaling the values to give me lux). My issue is my NI USB-6216 DAQ or my program is giving me values all over the place. I took the meter apart so I could measure the output terminals with a multimeter and the voltage is dead on. I'm new to Labview so my code is a bit of a mess but when probing the data wire before filtering and averaging, the values are still wrong. I've also tried a different DAQ unit thinking there could be something wrong with the one I was using but I'm still getting the problem. Any help would be much appreciated! Attached are images of my code and setup. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(566 Views)

You don't show which terminals on your DAQ you're connecting to the meter.  However I can see that you have connected a green wire to one of the terminals, which is usually a ground wire. 

However, you've chosen "Differential" on the front panel, which usually means that you want to connect two different AI terminals to measure the difference between them.  In most cases the secondary AI terminal should be 8 higher than the first, i.e. AI9 if you are using AI1 for the input.

Is that how you have connected to the DAQ?  If not, what connections did you use?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(554 Views)

The green wire is negative from the meter (green is just what I had laying around). Attached is a better photo of what connections I'm using.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(549 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author shpeigleton

You need to connect AIGND as well. 

It would vary based on how your Extech meter outputs

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YIfVCAW&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 6
(509 Views)

If you short AI1 to AI9 with just a plain wire do you read 0V or do you read more crazy values?

If you close LabVIEW completely and open up NI-MAX, and from there find your device and use the Test Panels with the same channel configuration, do you get the same results there or something else?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(471 Views)

That was it. Makes total sense after I read into that article, even for my mechanical engineering brain. I'm getting a fair amount of variability in my value still but it hovers around nominal so that is more of a filtering/averaging thing. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(433 Views)