LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Occasional Nugget 09/26/2022

@paul_cardinale wrote:

And now this.

You broke it Paul. It throws an error in "\XLSx File\XLSx File\Get Cells from Row.vi"

Spoiler

Error -2633 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in NI_XML.lvlib:Get Node Text Content.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Get Cells from Row.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Get Rows from Sheet.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Get Sheet Data from File.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Read All Sheets from XLSx File.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0xFFFFF5B7) Attempted to get Child Nodes on invalid node refnum.

It works in Darren original code.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 53
(1,846 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

And now this.

You broke it Paul. It throws an error in "\XLSx File\XLSx File\Get Cells from Row.vi"

Spoiler

Error -2633 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in NI_XML.lvlib:Get Node Text Content.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Get Cells from Row.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Get Rows from Sheet.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Get Sheet Data from File.vi->XLSx File.lvlib:Read All Sheets from XLSx File.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0xFFFFF5B7) Attempted to get Child Nodes on invalid node refnum.

It works in Darren original code.

It works for me.  Send me the spreadsheet that's causing problems.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 53
(1,836 Views)

Attached is a simplified version of the Excel file that is causing problems for me.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 53
(1,808 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

Attached is a simplified version of the Excel file that is causing problems for me.

So I tried coping one of the original sheets to a new file without any of the formats and it no longer throws an error.... So I assume it is one of the many, many applied formats in the original file that is messing things up.

Applied formats: Table, color, filters, first row frozen, word wrap, alignments... to name a few.

However, Darren's original code still works with the original Excel file.... and is noticeable faster.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 53
(1,797 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 53
(1,790 Views)

@ooth wrote:

Thank you Darren! I was looking for something that used the zipped files instead of opening Excel.

I did improve the speed significantly by removing the search for "/>" when it iterates through the cells. Then I replaced the case structure with insert an empty string when the cell was 0.

I commented my changes.

@ooth,  I did not time your version because your version introduces a bug where the data is not correct for most of my example spread sheet 😿

Again, Darren's version works with my spread sheet.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 53
(1,767 Views)

@Frozen

My  test Excel file didn't have any empty cells before the data, like the one you provided does. So I made a fix for that a little different than how Darren checked. See if this works for you. Might be faster than Darren's.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 53
(1,732 Views)

Here. Bug fixed.

Download All
Message 18 of 53
(1,714 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

However, Darren's original code still works with the original Excel file.... and is noticeable faster.

Thank you for the bug fixes.

Now the timing results...

ooth = 0.193 sec
Darren = 0.203 sec
Paul = 73.808 sec

Ooth & Darren version used average of 100 loops. Paul's was a single run 😱

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 53
(1,691 Views)

There are still flaws to this way of reading an Excel file.

Besides getting the internal data in USA-format there are also rounding errors to deal with.  Exact dotted numbers in a number-field are retreived in an imprecise way:  "10.7" becomes "10.700000000000001" if you define the number field with "Decimal places: 1".

Reading this through the regular Labview-mechanism gives "10.7", or in my local format: "10,7". (like it shows in my local format Excel file)

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 53
(1,524 Views)