LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with serial communication

I'm using putty to make a serial connection to an rs232 power supply.  Everything works fine...  But when I try to use the labview serial comm examples (serial.lvproj) I have no communication and I get a timeout error.  There aren't that many parameters to make the serial connection so I dont know why one works and the other doesnt.  

The NI max VISA test panel also doesnt work, which is no surprise if the serial VI doesn't.  But what am I missing here?  The VISA test panel has a few more parameters than putty specifies like, buffer size, hardware control, termination methods but I'm not sure what those should be.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(798 Views)

What power supply are you trying to communicate with?

The other possible issue is if you still have the port open in Putty when you try to open it with MAX or LabVIEW.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(792 Views)

To Corssrulz's point, you may want to also consider restarting the PC. I've found, from time to time, that the port doesn't always close completely and a restart is needed if you're using some other software to test the COM port like you describe.

Message 3 of 6
(781 Views)

I also suggest you watch this video: VIWeek 2020/Proper way to communicate over serial

As the serial communication examples that come with LabVIEW are just wrong on so many levels...

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 6
(764 Views)

Make sure you have Putty closed when you try to communicate using MAX or LabVIEW. Only one program can use the port at a time.

Message 5 of 6
(717 Views)

You might be missing a termination character which, in regard of the I/O tool and the VISA serial resource properties, isn't activated by default.

Message 6 of 6
(689 Views)