LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW freezes temporarily, why?

It happens usually while I edit a VI, or request running a VI; once it happened when I requested removing a VI from a project. Typically, the LabVIEW freezes for about 40 seconds (the time varies), and all its windows are non-responsive during the time (windows of other programs are fully functional while LabVIEW's ones are frozen); then everything returns to normal functioning. Nothing similar I have seen to happen to any other program.

The freezing is always seen when I request an action (e.g. by mouse click). Several seconds after lack of normal response the mouse cursor changes and LabVIEW windows have red (likely the active window) or pink (other windows) color of their "close window" buttons.

When returning to normal, frequently the window just edited goes obscured by other windows - this behavior makes harder to see what was changed in it.

Sometimes it happens every few minutes when I am editing a VI; sometimes few days pass without any freezing. Few times (seems 2 or 3) the freezing was permanent: I left the computer till the next day and the LabVIEW was still freezen and I needed to kill the LabVIEW process.

The LabVIEW version is 18.0; the OS is Windows 10.

An included picture shows a project window when the freezing occured just after I clicked the mouse right button and wanted to remove a VI from the project - the LabVIEW marked the VI, but did not show menu window.

I am wondering what can be the reason: something fails in my computer? I tested its memory and its SSD drive, to find no problem. Is it possible that the LabVIEW is incorrectly installed and somehow it assumes to be not registered and these freezes are requests to register the LabVIEW? How can I verify this, what steps can I do to verify the LabVIEW installation is correctly registered?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(290 Views)

That certainly does no sound right.

From the image, you seem to have a system distributed over several hardware systems (PC, cRIO, etc.). Can you explain what you are trying to remove and what kind of dependencies are involved. How are the systems connected?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(283 Views)

I created a VI and decided to move it into another LabVIEW project; I added it to the new project and removed from the old one, and just on the click to get a menu for the operation the LabVIEW froze. But this doesn't matter: (1) the VI wasn't involved in any dependencies, and (2) the freezing occured before the menu was shown (and before I showed what I was to do).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(252 Views)

You are working on a LabVIEW RT Project.  Could there be a problem with the Network connection between Host and Target?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(229 Views)

This happens mainly during the program editing - the editing can even be unrelated to any physical target. And Task Manager (a Windows program) shows no load.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(182 Views)