LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Driver/Toolkit

Hi all, I recently downloaded LabView in a school lab and it shows the following warning messages. I contacted the school's software support team and they sent me, which is named "2017ASTP.zip" and "NIDAQ1760f2.zip" and unzipped them to the designated dile ocation. However, I still receive the same thing in LabView.

Did I miss anything while downloading? If I need to look for the proper toolkits/drivers, where should I look for it?

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(130 Views)

Welcome to the LabVIEW Forum, @ct116.  I find it a little curious that a school lab at Wellesley would be running LabVIEW 2017.

Could you do a little more information-gathering for us?  You should have MAX (or NI Max) on your desktop, or in the Start Menu under National Instruments.  Run it.  When it opens, expand the Software Tab on the left pane (you don't have to open every sub-folder), take a screen shot, and paste it into your reply.  This will tell us what software you do and don't have.  Unfortunately, LabVIEW installation is something of a Dark Art (and right around 2017, NI switched how they installed LabVIEW, and it didn't necessa..rily make it more transparent ...).

While you are at it, when you look under the NI Folder in the Start Menu, see if there's something called NI Package Manager there.  I believe that 2017 was when NIPM (the other name for NI Package Manager) was introduced.

One more thing -- you mentioned getting two Zip files for ASTP and NIDAQ1760f2.  Can you unzip them and attach directory listings (top level is fine)?  I'm curious if these are many to "auto-install" or to be run in conjunction with an existing installer.  And while you are at it, if you do find NIPM already on your machine, you might run it and try to capture a screen shot of at least the first page of the NI Software it "sees" on your system.  It's always better knowing the patient's temperature before scheduling surgery!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(108 Views)

Hi Bob, Thank you for the reply! I have attached the screenshots of the software tab on NI Max and the first page that the softwares installed from what NIPM sees. And yes NI package manager is there.

However, I'm not quite getting what do you mean by directory listing for the two zip files. Could you specify a little more? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(49 Views)

Thanks for including the software listings.  It shows that you do, in fact, have LabVIEW 2017 installed on your computer, but almost all the rest of the code is LabVIEW 2024, seven years more recent (and NI says you can be 4-5 years out, but there's a lot more of LabVIEW 2017 I'd expect to see). 

Am I correct that you have a license for LabVIEW 2017 SP1?  [You might be able to tell by opening the NI License Manager, which should tell you the License number].  Can you scrounge a "spare computer" (or get someone to build you a VM running Windows 10 with, say, 80 GB of storage)?  I'd suggest going to NI's LabVIEW Distribution page and downloading the 1.42 GB LabVIEW 2017 SP1 (32-bit) Installation kit.  With that, you should be able to build a complete LabVIEW 2017 SP1 system, with all the drivers and support routines that you need.  If you get it to work, you can consider doing an "Uninstall/Reinstall" on your current PC.

Proceed slowly and cautiously.  LabVIEW installation (and removal) can be tricky and a bit difficult, and attempting to do a "force install" (and Registry cleaning) may well result in requiring a complete software re-build of your PC (starting with formatting the Hard Drive, reinstalling Windows, reinstalling your files, etc.).  

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(32 Views)

Your "Friend" that sent you a zip file of DAQmx vis is rather ignorant.   Those vis simply call into DLLs that the NI DAQmx installer installs and registers on your computer.   You cannot install a Driver that Way!  It is analogous to buying a candy wrapper without the candy.  

As Bob mentioned,  You have NI DAQmx 2024 installed.  There can be only one version of NI DAQmx installed on a given Machine. 

NI DAQmx 2024 does not have support for NI LabVIEW 2017 because the version is essentially obsolete.   You can work this two ways:

• Convert your LabVIEW code to 2024 (best)
  • Uninstall NI DAQmx 2024 and install an older version of NI DAQmx that does have support for LabVIEW 2017.  (not recommended.  This will BREAK any LabVIEW 2024 code that uses NI DAQmx on that machine)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(18 Views)