LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"List Folder" function does not work any more on compiled .exe files in LabVIEW 8.2

I used "List Folder" function in a splash screen VI to read the number of the subVIs within the .exe file. The number was used to create a progress bar. It worked with LabVIEW 8.00 but with 8.20 I get the error code 13 that means "LabVIEW:  File is not a resource file."

I wonder is it a bug or a feature? Up to now I could not find any info about changing the .exe file format.

If it is a feature, is there a way to get the list or any other information to make a progress bar 0...100%?

With best regards,

Mikhail Nagoga
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,226 Views)
Does it work in LabVIEW developer environment?  Could it be chosing the wrong path bcause the way the Current VI's Path works different in developer mode verse executable mode?  Are you using a hard path of a reference form a location?
Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,210 Views)

In LV 8.2, NI changed the exe format so that it no longer functions as an LLB. As far as I know, this is a feature and will not be changed back. I think it was changed to support some sort of security requirements in Windows Vista, but I don't remember where I got that notion from.

As a workaround, you can build the exe as a small exe with an LLB or maybe save the list of VIs elsewhere (for example, have all of them as subVIs of the splash screen).

Correction - I do know where I got that idea.

(3,200 Views)
Thank you very much! Actually I expected something like this.

Now for me the open issue is how to create a splash screen vi. My one loaded all the VIs from exe into the memory according to the list obtained, showing simultaneously the progress bar with indicator 0...100%. Things are getting more complicated with this .exe format change...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,188 Views)

@tst wrote:

That link is now broken. What was it about or is it available elsewhere?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(259 Views)

@d.w.b wrote:

@tst wrote:

That link is now broken. What was it about or is it available elsewhere?

Unfortunately many kbs are gone from ni web site.

You can get these back from web archive: Accessing VIs Inside of a LabVIEW Executable or DLL in LabVIEW 8.2 and Later or pdf attached to this message.

Message 7 of 7
(235 Views)