cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch and Surface Damage Detection

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, All...

I'm new to this, and I'm just asking for recommendations.

A few days ago my boss asks me about a vision based Automated Inspection system, and he referred me to NI for this.

What we want to do is to detect surface paint scratches and presence detection of paint on the surface of the part.

We are considering the smart camera for this, but I'm not sure if additional software will be needed since the paint defects appear at random on the part. (is the shipped NI Vision Builder for Automated Inspection enough?)

Another thing is: will a monochrome camera be enough for our purpose?

Lastly, I have no experience with LabView, just some familiarity with C and programming in general, can someone refer me to some examples of study material related to this project?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,886 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mr.Hydrogen

Hi!

Is not a problem that the camera be monochrome, actually, don't use color cameras if is not extremely necessary. 

You will need software too, seeing your application, probably you will need Vision Builder for Automated Inspection (development) ( http://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/select/vision-builder-for-automated-inspection )

When you get the Vision Builder, it includes some LabVIEW examples that you can use as a base for your code.

As a recommendation, you can call a Sales engineer a NI, and explain the purpose of your project and what you need. If you don't have a lot of experience with LabVIEW tell him too. They can bring you a lot of help in your project more than just a sale.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,857 Views)

Thank you very much azp7, I will proceed with your recommendation, and call the sales engineers at NI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,852 Views)