NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package Builder Error building TestStand Package (COM Object separated from RCW)

I just started receiving an error with Package Builder that I am not sure how to fix or event the root of the issue.  The error occurs when building any package that includes a TestStand sequence.  I am using LV 2022 Q3, TestStand 2022 Q4, Package Builder 2022 Q3 Patch 1, and Package Manager version 24.  All of which I am using the 32 bit version.

The Error is "The application crashed with an unhandled exception.
COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used."

After the error Package Builder closes.  

I have attempted to reinstall Package Builder and TestStand but the error still occurs.

Other Threads about similar errors imply there is an issue with how package Builder call TestStand Runtime engine via Active X.  

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(263 Views)

That type of error likely occurs when TestStand is shutting down and something is not being handled properly. There was a known NIPB issue in 20.6 and 2022 Q3 and fixed in 2023 Q4, see reported text below. I do not remember what the actual error message was for the below bug. If the license is in evaluation or expired and somehow the prompt to warn you is suppressed, NIPB would not display the license dialog. What is the license activation state of the active version of TestStand on this system?

Bug Number: 2029454

Package Builder must exit due to an expected error after dismissing the activation dialog for TestStand
When NI Package Builder requires TestStand to build a package and TestStand is not activated, Package Builder displays an activation dialog for TestStand, and after closing the activation dialog Package Builder reports an unexpected error occurred, and allows you to save the solution file before requiring that the application exit.

Workaround:

Activate TestStand, or select the option "Remind Me When Expired" to prevent Package Builder from displaying the activation dialog during the TestStand trial period.

See:

Scott Richardson
https://testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(225 Views)