Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad temperature readings with built in CJC on TC2095 and SCXI 1303

Hi, I'm testing some of the older DAQ systems lying around my lab and I've been having some trouble getting a good thermocouple reading in LabVIEW.

I have a NI PXI-1052 chassis with a PXI-8196 controller, that my signal conditioning modules are hooked into. I have a couple of SCXI 1102Bs, and an 1100 module installed. And so I wanted to do some test thermocouple measurements with a couple of terminal blocks, the SCXI 1303 and TC2095 but had problems when I had in LabVIEW the CJC source set to 'built in'. I hooked some of K-type thermocouples to both of these and just wanted to see them measure the temperature of the room and this is what I got:

SCXI 1303

If I have the CJC source set to built in, I get a temperature of about 36.7 degC (The room is no more than 25).

If I set it to a constant of 23 then I still get a high value of 29.5 degC

TC2095

I I have the CJC source set to built in, I get a temperature of 480 degC (I don't feel like that is accurate)

If I set it to a constant CJC value of 23 then I get 23.5 degC which is inline with the thermometer in the room

With the constant CJC value tests, it repsonded to me touching the thermocouple tip by raising >5 degC normally. In the built in tests, touching the tip didn't affect it.

Just to doublecheck that it wasn't a problem with my LabVIEW VI, I used the thermocouple example VIs and had the same result with a prettier front panel.

I've tried moving the terminal blocks on to different modules, and also since the bad readings only seems to be when the built in CJC is selected, I figure the problem is with the terminal block and specifically the cold junction thermistor on both. Does that make sense or am I off in assuming that?

I've also done a voltage measurement of the _cjTemp channels and for the 1303 I got 1.14831V and the TC2095 gave me 0.0005 (The SCXI-1303 temperature sensor outputs 1.91 to 0.58 V from 0 to 55 °C). 1.14V comes out to 31 degC for me which would be why I'm getting such a high value with the built in for the 1303, and then I don't understand the 2095 reading. Is it a thermistor as well?

Sorry this was kind of a scatter shot post, I'm just trying to give as much information. But ultimately are the cold junction sensors the problem, and what steps can I take (if any) to fix them.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(5,618 Views)