LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array of clusters that has an array inside the cluster

In all my years of LabVIEW i have never run into this behavior, probably because i have never had to have a an array of clusters that has an array inside of the cluster.

The problem i am having is that when VIEWING the cluster array and incrementing the array elements to view the contents, ALL the other arrays inside all the clusters increment as well. 

Maybe i have just never noticed or have never had the need to have this type of control or maybe its a LV 23 thing but it seems odd that this would be how its supposed to work. 

Just odd behavior. Maybe someone can explain it.

Oh and if you are wondering why i had to this its because of how a JSON packet is structured. Maybe you know a better way.

{
"Hostname":"host",
"IP Address":"192.168.1.25",
"Control Port":9788,
"Location":"field",
"Range (m)":400,
"Sensor":"acA2040-90uc",
"Lens":"Sigma 600",
"RTSP":true,
"Raw":false,
"Memory Remaining (GB)":2000,
"Disk Size (GB)":3899,
"Hardware":[
{
"Name":"some Controller",
"Control Port":9789,
"Capabilities":[
{
"Name":"Focus",
"Commands":["+", "-"]
},
{
"Name":"Zoom",
"Commands":["+", "-"]
}
]
},
{
"Name":"Gimbal",
"Control Port":9780,
"Capabilities":[
{
"Name":"Home",
"Commands":["Go", "Set"]
},
{
"Name":"Pan",
"Commands":["Left", "Right"]
},
{
"Name":"Tilt",
"Commands":["Left", "Right"]
}
]
}
]
}

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,071 Views)

Hi Joe,

That's perfectly normal, as an Array control only has a single instance a control representing all its elements. So when you change a property either manually to one of the elements (e.g. by scrolling) or programmatically through the array's Element refnum, this applies to all visible elements of the array. This may look counterintuitive, but that's the way it is implemented. I think NI did not want to have an instance of control for each element because it would take too much space in memory.

Regards,

Raphaël.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,062 Views)

Hi Joe,

@Joe_H wrote:

No odd behaviour, but expected!

General rule: in an array ALL elements share the same properties, they only differ in value.

So when you change the index value in one of the arrays inside the cluster, then in all other clusters (as elements of the bounding array) the same index value will change. The index value is a property of the array and not its value…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 11
(1,058 Views)

I expected that to be the case just had never ran into it before. Makes for a bad UI design when you can have an array of clusters and change ANY element in those clusters and it does not effect the others but when you add an array to the cluster everything goes downhill. 

Oh well such as life. 

Got any other ideas of how to display this. Its a monitoring app for some hardware. Could be from 1 -> 15 different cameras. 

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,047 Views)

As long as you do not provide your control saved for LV2021 (max), we cannot see anything.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,043 Views)

My opinion is a bit different.  it is odd, but it's also expected.  It's annoying to me, but I live with it because it is LabVIEW being consistent.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,018 Views)

@Joe_H wrote:

In all my years of LabVIEW i have never run into this behavior, probably because i have never had to have a an array of clusters that has an array inside of the cluster.

As has been said, the scroll position is a property and thus shared among all elements of the array. While it is perfectly OK to have such a complicated data structure, it should live mostly on the diagram, not on the front panel, because it is difficult to process by the user, scrolled or not. (I assume this is an indicator, not a control, right?). Maybe you could write a small SubVI that processes it for display, e.g. in a table or even tree structure.

Message 7 of 11
(984 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Joe,

@Joe_H wrote:

No odd behaviour, but expected!

General rule: in an array ALL elements share the same properties, they only differ in value.

And position.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(970 Views)

@Joe_H wrote:

Got any other ideas of how to display this. Its a monitoring app for some hardware. Could be from 1 -> 15 different cameras. 

Use subVIs, possibly in subpanels if you want this to appear in a single window. This would require splitting the data, launching VIs, stopping them, arranging them, etc., but it should allow you to let each element in the array have independent behavior.

(875 Views)

For viewing, i'd use a cluster with individual arrays. If the number of arrays is more than the number in the cluster you'll have to implement a scroll bar and update the arrays accordingly.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(847 Views)