LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you run Heap Peek to find corrupted/insane objects on a whole project/directory?

I have a project with very obnoxious, deep-rooted crash issues that seem to only appear in the Runtime Engine, not the dev environment. There are a few odd glitches that I get here and there that make me suspect I have a corrupt or insane object SOMEWHERE in the project... but running Heap Peek one at a time would take me eons (there are about 1700 files in this program, mostly VI's but lots of classes too).

Can I automate Heap Peek in some way to scan the whole thing for me so I can start trying to find potentially corrupt items?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(625 Views)

I pretty much doubt it. Heap Peek is a (non-official) tool from the beginnings of LabVIEW (version 2.x, possibly even 1,x) while the VI Server is from around 5.x, projects from 8.0 and classes and libraries from 8.2 and later, Heap Peek not being an officially acknowledged tool by NI in all this time made it also not receive any extra effort to make it work with all these new techs.

Heap Peek is s tool from the LabVIEW attic. NI put a door with a simple lock in front of the stairs to that attic but didn’t spent much effort to make that lock extra difficult to pick.But the fact that door is locked should be enough to tell everybody that proceeding past that door is on their own risk, There can and will be rusty nails that you can hurt yourself on and old tools that are from a time where the house had no central heating, limited running water, lighting by candles instead of electricity and of course no fridge or dish washer. 😀

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(551 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Heap Peek is s tool from the LabVIEW attic. NI put a door with a simple lock in front of the stairs to that attic but didn’t spent much effort to make that lock extra difficult to pick.But the fact that door is locked should be enough to tell everybody that proceeding past that door is on their own risk, There can and will be rusty nails that you can hurt yourself on and old tools that are from a time where the house had no central heating, limited running water, lighting by candles instead of electricity and of course no fridge or dish washer. 😀

I'm just creating a mental image of this as if this were a horror movie. Ha ha, that's a good analogy.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(523 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Bummer... but I'd welcome that rather than wading through a million entries per VI, iterated over 1700 VI's!

It's confusing to me how, apparently, LabVIEW can "know" something is corrupted or "insane" or whatever, but can't tell me about it without going through the Temple of Doom. I just have to guess and check and manually review a bunch of lists to find something in red text. Ah well, thanks for the answer anyway!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(506 Views)

I thought I remember when I mass compiled projects previously, the output listed a few insane objects. Maybe that will help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(494 Views)