LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet/IP Communication Using NI-Industrial Communications for EtherNet/IP 16.0

Hi

I want to create communication between LabView and a SMC driver JXC91 to move two electric actuators, I don't have a PLC, but the driver has the Ethernet IP protocol. I don't have any idea about how to create communication or if it's possible to do it using this toolkit or maybe exist another way to create this communication, do you know if I can use this toolkit to stablish communication with the controller JXC91? or If i use TCP IP it could be a good way to create communication? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34
(16,536 Views)

Hi, you don't need any special toolkit to stablish an Ethernet/IP communication.

In the example you can see a very basic structure, you send some strings to the device and then read its answer.

What really takes time to do is the messaging protocol between the program and the device, i.e what you send in the "Data in" control and the string processing of the "data out" indicator.

Ethernet_IP.JPG

I hope this can help you a little.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34
(16,510 Views)

Hi, I am working on the same problem. Do you have any progress? I have found Ethernet/IP drivers for Labview but I think they are adapters not scanners. I will let you know if I can make it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(16,335 Views)

I have found how to make I/O messaging through explicit messaging. In the EDS file under assembly section, "20 04 24 64 30 03" is the command for I/O. 04h is for class, 64h for instance, 03h for attiribute. using molex tool for ethernet/ip cummunication, you can use explicit messaging with the given parameters and get/set service. Now I will create the same message in Labview. I will give the details when it is done.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34
(16,307 Views)

I'm new to this topic, but I guess the Ethernet/IP module acts only as an adapter and not as a scanner. At the moment I'm using the Ethernet/IP module from LabView, but so far I was only able to use explicit messaging in order to get/set the acyclic data.

Have you found out how to use it as a scanner? In order to use implicite messaging?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(15,889 Views)

I think I use it like you do. I use get/set attribute functions to send commands to the driver and get data back. You can find the code attached.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34
(15,862 Views)

You are correct that it is possible to use TCP/IP to communicate with Ethernet/IP devices but unfortunately it is not as simple as you might think.  Ethernet/IP is a complete messaging protocol that is built on top of TCP/IP and UDP. Thus when you mention "Send some strings" you are in fact glossing over the complete implementation of the Ethernet/IP protocol (thousands of pages of specifications governed by ODVA.org). As of yet National Instruments has only developed and released a LabVIEW toolkit that allows you to configure NI hardware as an adapter so that a 3rd party scanner (such as an AB PLC) can connect to it in order to receive Class 1 (Implicit Messages) from it. The toolkit also has very limited explicit messaging functions. Using the existing NI toolkit it would be difficult to get data from most instruments that would be considered Ethernet/IP adapters themselves.  A true scanner implementation of Ethernet IP uses TCP to establish a connection and then UDP to transmit data back and forth between the Target (Adapter) and the Originator (Scanner).

To cut to the chase you would spend hundreds if not thousands hours learning, understanding, and implementing the Ethernet/IP specifications within LabVIEW in order to develop a set of code that would allow you to connect to an Ethernet/IP device as a scanner.

Jacob K
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(15,634 Views)

Limited messaging is enough for my application.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(15,627 Views)

Hi ilker,

Would you mind sending me the complete vi? I'm trying the Ethernet communication with the JXC91 and I could get data from it but it has been impossible to write any data. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34
(12,610 Views)

Hi All,
Do we need to activate a license for Ethernet IP protocol to test it?
I just want to run and check how to communicate using Ethernet LabVIEW drivers.

Message 10 of 34
(12,105 Views)