Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i avoid this build array? in FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

Harishkanmani_0-1679577617719.png

This VI is for FIR filter... Iam Ok with the outputs

but Optimization is an biggest issue here .

How can i replace those Build array since consumes much spaces

🙂 Happy Learning (:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,190 Views)

Hi Harish,

in FPGA you cannot use BuildArray to build a growing array like you do with that feedback node.

You need to use fixed-sized arrays in the FPGA!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,180 Views)

The Build Array should not even be allowed in this situation since it causes an ever-growing array and FPGA requires arrays to be a set size.  And reading a FIFO typically invalidates the Single Cycle Timed Loop.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?  It looks like code that could very easily be done by the host and pushing it to an FPGA and right back up is going to use up more time than just doing it on the host.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,177 Views)

x(n) = 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ,5  ( Writing from Host & Reading in Target )

co-eff = 1, 2, ,3 , 4, 5 ( Writing from Host & Reading in Target )

iteration 1 : 1 x 1 = 1

iteration 2 : (2 x 1) + (1 x 2) = 4

iteration 3 : (1 x 3) + (2 x 2) + (3 x 1)= 10

iteration 4 : (1 x 4) + (2 x 3) + (3 x 2) + (4 x 1)= 20

iteration 5 : (1 x 5) + (2 x 4) + (3 x 3) + (4 x 2) (5 x 1)= 35

Filtered Output = 1 , 4 , 10 , 20 , 35 ( Writing from Host & Reading in Target )

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,111 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Harishkanmani

Hi Harish,

you still don't explain why you want to implement this operation in the FPGA instead of having the host CPU do this small calculation:

I made this implementation with FPGA in mind, so only fixed-sized array and IndexArray nodes. All you need is to index the right elements from your x_n[] and coeff[] arrays!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 7
(1,103 Views)

Yeah sure...! before i started to implement in FPGA i have tried in Labview Host itself

but i need to get implemented on FPGA target 

here i cant use for loops right ?

So iam thinking of alternative ways 

anyway thank  you you for help

Stay smiled

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,095 Views)

For loops can be used even in FPGA-targeted VI, where processing in For Loop is automatically parallelized at intermediate file generations.   However, only limited type of processing can be placed inside a For Loop, when it comes to FPGA.  

If you would like to implement FIR filter, there are various methods depending on your FPGA skill.  

An Introduction to High-Throughput DSP in LabVIEW FPGA

https://www.ni.com/ja-jp/support/documentation/supplemental/11/an-introduction-to-high-throughput-ds...

DFD (Digital Filter Design) toolkit allows you to design a filter step-by-step on host PC, including FXP assignments for filter data and coefficients.  Once you finished designing a filter on host PC, DFD generates a FPGA filter IP automatically.  You can refer to a help like following.  https://www.ni.com/docs/ja-JP/bundle/labview-digital-filter-design-toolkit-api-ref/page/lvdfdtconcep...

If you are familiar with LabVIEW FPGA, Xilinx FIR Compiler provides great usability to implmenet various high performance filters.  One of examples of articles on ni.com which explains about XIilinx FIR Compiler is this.  Polyphase Interpolation FIR Filter on FPGA with DFD and Coregen  (https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Polyphase-Interpolation-FIR-Filter-on-FPGA-with-DFD-and-Corege...

Message 7 of 7
(1,066 Views)