LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KEYSIGHT 82357B USB/GPIB Visa read in GPIB with VISA functions ( timeout expired before the operation completed) in LABVIEW

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to use the KEYSIGHT 82357B USB/GPIB converter to control the HP4194A impedance analyzer. When I connect it to the controller, I can detect it inside the Keysight connection expert, but when I send write/read commands, it only responds to the write command. Further software for the hardware is installed by following the Keysight tips document with labview interfacing, but It is saying it may not work correctly as you can see in screenshot 08. But all the LEDs are showing the normal response. I am using a Windows 11 PC with Labview Community 2023 Q3 32-bit, NI MAX, and NI-Visa for the operation.

Also, I tried to change the cables and still, I am facing the same problem.

Could you please help me to understand the issue and possible solutions?

Thank you,

Looks

Harpreet.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(634 Views)

You should be using VISA not those old GPIB primitives...

Make sure you have both NI-VISA and NI-488.2 installed

For Agilent/Keysight USB-GPIB you need to make sure the NI-VISA Passport for TULIP is enabled in NI-MAX (it is disabled by default)

Open NI MAX

Navigate to Tools---->NI VISA---->VISA Options

Select Passports from the tree

Check the box to enable NiVisaTulip.dll -- NI-VISA Passport for Tulip

_TulipCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 2 of 5
(595 Views)

Hello,

Thank you very much for the response. I solved this problem. It turns out that HP4194A does not recognize the read command from the Keysight command expert. But it is working with its own commands.

Yes, I already checked the NiVisaTulip.dll. It was not the issue.

Thank you again for your time and efforts.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(550 Views)

@Engineer0172 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you very much for the response. I solved this problem. It turns out that HP4194A does not recognize the read command from the Keysight command expert. But it is working with its own commands.

I just did a quick skim of the manual and indeed that instrument is not IEEE-488.2 compliant so it will not respond to IEEE common commands like "*IDN?".

That's why the VISA test panel was timing out. 

You will also find that NI-Max will not auto identify this instrument ether.

But you can still use VISA either enter the information manually into NI-Max and give it a VISA Alias or just use the actual VISA resource (GPIB0::3::INSTR) 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(545 Views)

Thank you very much for your advice. It is very helpful for me. My program is working now.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(526 Views)