cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW (and other NI software products) Roadmap 2023 Q1

Solved!
Go to solution

@crossrulz wrote:

I can't speak to TestStand, but .NET core is coming to LabVIEW.  I don't remember the implementation and roll-out details, but this is one of those topics that come up often in the LabVIEW Champions meetings with NI.

Sorry for the newbie question... but what exactly is .NET core, and what will it enable when it gets here?

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 35
(854 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:
Sorry for the newbie question... but what exactly is .NET core, and what will it enable when it gets here?

.NET Core is supposedly cross-platform.  This means it will work on Windows, Linux, and MacOS.  I think it has been rebranded to just .NET now.

.NET - Wikipedia

The current version is .NET 8, which I think is what NI is working towards.  Again, I do not remember the full details and nothing I say here is binding to NI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 35
(833 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

I can't speak to TestStand, but .NET core is coming to LabVIEW.  I don't remember the implementation and roll-out details, but this is one of those topics that come up often in the LabVIEW Champions meetings with NI.

crossrulz already gave you an answer.

.Net Core was the name of the .Net version that Microsoft decided to open source. It was NOT just a rereleased .Net Framework edition but for the most part a new implementation of .Net based on the released specifications for .Net. I guess that cleaning up the code base of the old .Net implementation to make it ready for public consumption was probably just as much work than starting all over again with a new code base. And it is cross platform for Linux and Mac, although not every feature works on all these platforms.

Microsoft, by releasing .Net as open source, pretty much stifled Mono, the independent open source implementation of .Net and kept full control on the implementation and direction that .Net should take.

Implementing support for .Net Core, or more precisely .Net 8, in LabVIEW is some work but not a huge investment at least on the Windows platform, since .Net Core is not that much different than the previous .Net Framework was. How and if that will be supported on Linux will have to be seen. There I expect that it takes quite a bit more effort to introduce support for .Net since it doesn't have anything like that yet for this platform. Also don't expect the moon here. .Net Core hasn't much of support for embedding controls. Part of that is that Microsoft itself has trouble to decide which windows framework to use and implementing WPF and WinForms and whatever else they introduced in the past on that front is for other platforms quite a feat. My guess is that if NI even release support for .Net Core on LabVIEW for Linux, it will only be supported for calling .Net assemblies, not embedding of .Net Controls.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 35
(747 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Microsoft, by releasing .Net as open source, pretty much stifled Mono, the independent open source implementation of .Net and kept full control on the implementation and direction that .Net should take.

MS also owns Mono at this point, so ... 🤷‍

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 35
(413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EricR

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  Going forward, public roadmaps for NI's software are now posted on the "Software Roadmaps" section of NI.com found here:https://www.ni.com/en/shop/software-portfolio/software-roadmaps.html

This site, as it calls out, will be updated quarterly, by the product managers that drive the roadmaps for these product line. 

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
Message 35 of 35
(39 Views)