LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logitech MX Creative Console to help with faster programming?

Hi,

I know that LV shortcuts and quickdrop shortcuts are a recurring subject. I remember reading a post about someone a long time ago actually using a second keyboard that would only acts for these but in a faster way than having to manually use ctrl+space+[object]+enter/ctrl+[command]. I cannot find this post anymore but I'm sure someone would be kind enough to repost here here for context? 🙂

Anyway, Logitech launched (like many other companies) their own "programmable buttons control center" that allows you to customize buttons with whatever you want. Obviously more oriented for creative content (like photo/video editing etc.) I keep wondering if such devices (like the stream deck) could be useful for our work. 

I currently have an MX master 3, and it's been great, I have a lot of useful shortcuts in labview with it and it saved me ton of time (and it's also fun I'll be honest). As far as I know, a very interesting point from the console they sell is that you can have multi action with 1 click. Got me wondering if we can't use that for very specific shortcuts and use less the quickdrop menu?

Has anyone tried that yet? Either with the logitech or the Stream deck? I'd be interested to hear some feedback 🙂

The price is a bit yikes though...

For reference:

Their official website: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/mx-creative-console.html?srsltid=AfmBOooNQg46KsCfA...

A video showing some assets of the Creative Console: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CphbVep1kFc&t=28s

Cheers,

Vinny

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(275 Views)

I have had something similar, self made, looks like this - "LabVIEW Keyboard":

kb2.jpg

kb3.jpg

And no, it wasn't very efficient, but nice experiment.

Message 2 of 8
(267 Views)

@Andrey_Dmitriev  a écrit :

I have had something similar, self made, looks like this - "LabVIEW Keyboard":

kb2.jpg

kb3.jpg

And no, it wasn't very efficient, but nice experiment.

Ah yes, that's the one I had in mind!
Maybe my post should go back in this discussion haha

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(241 Views)

Can anyone confirm if the rotary knob is infinite and if it can be customized using Node.js or Web MIDI? I’m interested in using the knob to modify the XYZ position in my Three.js scene. If the rotary feature works as intended, I'll make a purchase immediately!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(193 Views)

Hi Vinny,

Not as advanced as a dedicated console, I have a gaming mouse (Logitech G502 Hero) that comes with a software (Logitech Gaming Software) that allows to map your buttons and configure macros. The configuration can be stored either on the computer or on the mouse.

For example, I have an extra mouse button mapped to Ctrl+E (swap FP/BD) and another one for Ctrl+Shift+E (show VI in project), and another for Ctrl+Space+Ctrl+O to recenter the origin of the FP.

I am quite used to it now and it speeds up especially code exploration.

Regards,

Raphaël.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(175 Views)

Hey Raph,

yep, I have the MX Master 3, and I've mapped already quite a few things as well. I haven't mapped macros though, I heard it is possible but haven't tried yet.

Something I'm curious about is if it really works, because I've realized that when I open the QD, type an object fast and enter, I don't necessarily get the one I wanted because QD took too long to generate the list (I think) which makes me questionning mapping macros....
Is it because of some of my settings, my computer too slow, or really just need to wait for LV to generate the list ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(158 Views)

@VinnyAstro wrote:

Hey Raph,

yep, I have the MX Master 3, and I've mapped already quite a few things as well. I haven't mapped macros though, I heard it is possible but haven't tried yet.

Something I'm curious about is if it really works, because I've realized that when I open the QD, type an object fast and enter, I don't necessarily get the one I wanted because QD took too long to generate the list (I think) which makes me questionning mapping macros....
Is it because of some of my settings, my computer too slow, or really just need to wait for LV to generate the list ?

I've had exactly the same problem with macros failing to execute a QD command (like the Ctrl+Space+Ctrl+O).

The so called "Quick Drop" isn't actually quick (option "Load palettes during launch" does not help) and if you type too fast (during the loading), it can miss a few key strokes. Your PC being slow (or connected to a remote desktop) can also worsen this issue.

I "fixed" this problem by adding delays between the key strokes of my QD macro. Now it looks like this:

raphschru_0-1729095914700.png

Yes, it takes a full second to execute!

I think making the Quick Drop faster would be a priority before even thinking about mouse/keyboard/console macros.

I mean, it is quite useless to have a slow popup that opens for every shortcut...

Regards,

Raphaël.

Message 7 of 8
(141 Views)

@raphschru  a écrit :

I think making the Quick Drop faster would be a priority before even thinking about mouse/keyboard/console macros.

I mean, it is quite useless to have a slow popup that opens for every shortcut...

Regards,

Raphaël.

I agree, there's a lot of functions (and also shortcuts then) that I do not use but are still being loaded (and thus QD is slow) it would be great if LV could do some sort of search indexing by priority over most used functions and load these first faster...

I know it's possible to create your own QD shortcuts (I've never done it though, if you know a nice tutorial to learn, I'll take it) but I have no idea if there is a way to change the way QD loads.

Still I would say that waiting even for a full 1s is (in my opinion) more interesting if you know it's coming, rather than being too fast yourself and having to do it twice. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(72 Views)