Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET Core LV2024Q3 Preview usage ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear community members

Is there tiny example on how to use .NET core (8) assemblys in the new 2024Q3

Should this be in the same way as the .NET framwork usage ?

I would be happy to see one simple example on the way to implement.

Just to use ase a prove of principal. (similar to our well known "Hello World" 😂 examples)

Thank you

Gernot Hanel
IONICON Analytik Gesellschaft m.b.H.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,093 Views)

Did NI really ship this without a single example?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,084 Views)

I am not 100% sure but I was not able to find any example or documentation regarding this preview feature.

The only thing is the checkbox in the preferneces window of Labview and these lines. (also available in english)

Veröffentlicht im Juli 2024

Vorschaufunktion: Unterstützung von .NET Core (8.0) in LabVIEW

LabVIEW 2024 Q3 bietet eingeschränkte Unterstützung für das Laden und Ausführen von .NET-Core-Assemblys (8.0) unter Windows, einschließlich:
  • Aktivieren von Konstruktorknoten, Eigenschaftsknoten und Methodenknoten für die Arbeit mit .NET Core (8.0)
  • Unterstützt die folgenden vier Datentypen:
    • int
    • String
    • bool
    • Zeichen

Um die Unterstützung von .NET Core (8.0) in LabVIEW 2024 Q3 zu aktivieren, navigieren Sie zu Werkzeuge » Optionen, wählen Sie die Kategorie Funktionsvorschau aus und aktivieren Sie das Auswahlfeld Unterstützung von .NET Core (8.0) aktivieren.

Gernot Hanel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,056 Views)

@Quiztus2 wrote:

Did NI really ship this without a single example?

I don't know, but NI has shifted to including some features as previews in shipping versions, where you can enable them to play with them if you want. I suppose it's possible this doesn't include examples. I would assume this would be similar to how the current .NET Framework integration works in LV.

In any case, a good place for discussion is feedback for such features is here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Public-Beta-Program-in/bd-p/labview-2024-beta

(1,049 Views)

Dear tst

Thank you for the clarification but I am still not aware if beta=preview in "final version" therefore I took the main forum.

I also observed that there are not many active parcitioants in the beta forum "propably they dont know that it exists"

It is similar to the idea exchange. I am overall not amused that there are almost never comments from the NI side on such fundamental questions.

Gernot Hanel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,037 Views)

The forums don't have much "official" feedback for understandable reasons. Use Request Support for that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,029 Views)

@nottilie wrote:

I am still not aware if beta=preview in "final version" therefore I took the main forum.

In this case (and other preview features), it seems like it's where NI prefers, and hopefully where you would be more likely to get an answer from them - https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Public-Beta-Program-in/Question-about-Feedback-on-quot-Preview-Feat...

As for the level of participation from NI, I agree. It would be useful if there was more.

(1,008 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nottilie

Yeah this is a preview feature for 2024 Q3.

You can enable it by going to Tools >> Options >> Preview Features and enabling the support for .NET 8.0

jyoung8711_0-1723128326827.png

There's some documentation on this at the link there.

To actually use, if you drop a .NET constructor node on the block diagram, right-click and select "Select .NET Core Constructor"

jyoung8711_1-1723128390993.png

I've only played around with it a little, but it seems to be bit more finicky then the previous .NET version integration in LabVIEW... It also doesn't seem to pass out useful errors from the .NET context.

I did get it to recognize the postgreSQL 8.0 .NET libraries though (Npgsql). 

I made the post in the beta forums because I observed some weirdness and wanted to communicate it but wasn't sure where was appropriate... Apparently the answer is the beta forum, but I haven't had time to go back to it yet.

Message 8 of 9
(989 Views)

Thank you very much , this was the missing link. I did not find the "select .NETcore constructor"

Now I can start to play 😊

Gernot Hanel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(986 Views)