LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Shared Variables (initial Value)

Hi all,

I have a problem trying to run some LabVIEW programs on a newer PC (Win11 instead of Win7)

On the new PC, starting the [].ivproj file is just fine, however, I got some error when running the code. The problem seems to be something related to the shared Variables. There is an error at "Computer2Rio" and "Rio2Computer" as can be seen in the attached figure 1. When I try to click on the properties, I get the error as can be seen in Fig2. 

Somehow, in the properties the "Initial Value" section is missing. Both Variables "Computer2Rio" and "Rio2Computer"  have an initial Value on the old PC (Enable Initial Value yes, initial Value = False). But on the newer PC, I can't even chose this section at other variables, because its missing.

I guess somehow a Labview Program or driver is missing, anyone an idea?

Thanks in advanced.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(333 Views)
Looks like Datalogging and Supervisory Toolkit.
Do you have this module installed and activated

You can check this on NI Package manager and NI License Manager for the status of the license.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(215 Views)

You did not provide enough (nor the "correct") information for us to be of much help.  "Pictures" of code and what looks like a partial listing of a LabVIEW RT Project file don't give us much to understand what you are doing, and where the problem might be.

Please attach LabVIEW code, preferably "Save for Previous Version" in LabVIEW 2019 or 2021 (or even older).  Tell us the version of LabVIEW you are using, something about the hardware (a cRIO appears to be involved), describe the overall goal of the program.

When communicating between a Host PC and a LabVIEW RT Target, Network Shared Variables don't seem to be as reliable as Network Streams or direct TCP/IP.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(209 Views)

Thanks for you reply. 
For some reason, Datalogging and Supervisory Toolkit is included in NI License Manage and activated, but its not included in NI Package manager. However, in NI MAX its also included, see attached file.

Any more ideas what the problem could be?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(187 Views)

Thank you, too for your reply.

In my other post, you can see attached all my installed tools (from NI MAX).

I am using a NI-CRIO 9074 connected via LAN. The goal is to commuicate with NI-CRIO, to get is current location, etc.I will include LabVIEW code soon here.

I didint get your last sentence. How can I fix that?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(184 Views)

@DrBob21 wrote:

Thank you, too for your reply.

To whom is your Thanks directed, @aascencio or me?

I didint get your last sentence. How can I fix that?

I assume you were referring to my comment about Network Shared Variables with LabVIEW Real-Time communication between Host and RT Target, personal experience (going back to LabVIEW 7, and rare attempts with more recent versions of LabVIEW) and comments from other Developers using LabVIEW Real-Time projects suggest that, while simple in appearance, this method of Host/Target communication is not as reliable as one might like.  I abandoned it for LabVIEW's Network Streams, and othe users on the Forum have touted TCP/IP communication protocols (I'm still using Network Streams, by the way).

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I suspect that there are not that many "doctors" who use LabVIEW.  [I know a small handful ...  Most are PhDs working in the Life Sciences].  In what field is your doctorate?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(169 Views)