LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmable barcode scanner

Does anyone have experience with barcode scanners that can be programmed via labview or some sort of text commands. Kindly let me know. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(1,344 Views)

Do you want a scan/read Bar code values or do you need to generate print a barcode?

For reading bar code scanner you can use serial read functions, for generating you have to create PRN files share the PRN files using barcode printer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(1,306 Views)

I need to just read barcodes. What do you mean by using the serial read functions. So I send the read functions over the serial rs232 interface. If so can you recommend a scanner with such functions. This is exactly what I am looking for. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26
(1,302 Views)

It depends on the Scanner you have for reading the barcode, you need to have a barcode scanner with Serial Interface , where you can continuously poll for reading VISA and whenever you get a scanned data it will be read by LabVIEW Programmatically.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(1,298 Views)

I dont have a barcode scanner. I am planning to buy one. Thats why I post this question asking for suggestions. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(1,278 Views)

I think there are barcode readers that look like keyboards to the PC so when you read the barcode (press the trigger) it acts like you typed in the corresponding characters.  It might be easier to handle because you're dealing with keyboard input instead of serial port input.  No drivers or translation to worry about.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(1,251 Views)

but I need to program them. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(1,245 Views)

@govindsankar wrote:

but I need to program them. Is that possible?

Oh you mean you need to program them to automatically scan something?  At first I didn't get what you meant about "programming" them because I was always thinking about a manually scanned barcode.  Silly me didn't take into account that you could auto-scan a barcode.

Sorry about that.  I don't really know if these keyboard scanners can be programmed to trigger.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(1,235 Views)

There are a wide variety of barcode scanning devices available from Intermec, Symbol, and Honeywell (just three vendors that come to mind, that I've used on various projects over the years).

Do you want a fixed scanner, e.g., one that perhaps is mounted to a table as objects go by on a conveyor?

Do you want a hand-held scanner, the kind with a pistol grip and a trigger button?  If so, is it tethered (cabled directly to a PC) or would you prefer it to be wireless?

As far as "programmable", all the barcode readers I've used in at least a decade, can be configured to do specific things (ignore barcodes of unneeded types, send data with a special termination sequence, limit their field of view... programmability is endless).  Generally, the simplest way is via specialized configuration barcodes published in a user manual.

The interface type to the barcode device is also generally configurable as well.  A given device may be setup to act as a keyboard-class device, where the data scanned generates keystrokes that will "type" directly into whatever application and input box has focus, or as a virtual serial port, where (from LabVIEW) you'd open a serial port at COM<n> and issue reads; when the read doesn't time out, you get your data.  In years past, you had to swap cables from the scanner (ending in a DIN/miniDIN for keyboard, or a "DB9" for serial), but now everything I encounter is USB, so changing interfaces is just a setup barcode and perhaps a Windows Device Manager visit.

I've implemented both methods, and each has its advantages and disadvantages.  (I now have a reasoned bias in favor of serial.)

Ask further questions if this is all new to you and you want any more specific discussion/recommendations/tips.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 9 of 26
(1,204 Views)

@David Boyd. Thank you. What I want is a fixed scanner. So I am not sure on what you explained because as you said all of this is new to me. What I am looking for is a mounted scanner and the device with the barcode will be under it for a long time until the test is complete. So normally the scanner will continuously scan, which means when the barcode is underneath it will be scanning again and again and again. But that is not what I want. So I want it to scan in the beginning and then stop and then rest of the test process will happen. But for this I need to be able to program the scanner. So I am hoping for a scanner with some commands that can be send via serial port. So we just connect the scanner to the serial port  and use laview to send the command to scan and stop via the serial port. This is the most ideal solution. Or the most ideal solution is having existing labview driver for the scanner. So some way for a software written in labview to trigger the scanner. This is what I am looking. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(1,133 Views)