LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Time on cRIO-9053 require restart? or not?

I am using LabVIEW 2021 and a cRIO-9053. I want to set time zone and timestamp programmatically so I use Set Time.vi function under System Configuration pallete. I follow the instruction from knowledge.ni.com here:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019KqxSAE&l=en-MY

But when I open NI MAX, I am unable to see changes of my timestamp when I refresh the cRIO. Only time zone changed but not timestamp and date. When I restart the cRIO instead of refresh it, then only I see the changes of timestamp and date.

When I run the Set Time.vi, it stated that 'Changes Require Restart' = FALSE, so I don't need to restart my cRIO, supposedly. I don't want my cRIO to be restarted because it will interrupt the other RT process. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank youuu.

umarr_0-1687147764028.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(902 Views)

That snippet from the KB is missing some information. You need to call Save Changes VI for the changes to take place.

ZYOng_0-1687183608170.png

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(851 Views)

I'm running a LabVIEW RT system whose target is a myRIO that is powered up when I start to use it.  I know its IP, and start by establishing a set of Network Streams to communicate with it.  Once the Streams are set up (so I know TCP/IP is working), I use two functions in the Systems Configuration palette (which I currently can't find, but Quick Drop will find them for you) called "Set Time" (to set the time on the myRIO) and "Close" (to "let go" of the myRIO and let it continue to run with its clock "pretty close" (probably within a second) of the Host's clock). 

Here's a Snippet from LabVIEW 2019.

Set myRIO Clock.png

Bob Schor 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(846 Views)

Oops, accidentally double-posted ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(845 Views)

I ma having the same issue. when I set the time, it is only effective when my cRIO-9058 is reset. I s there some knind of other software settings that allows time settings to take effect without having to restart?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(230 Views)

I had the same issue with the Set Time VIs on newer cRIOs (I remember that in old OS cRIOs, old set time VIs were working instead).

Then I have accomplished 2 ways for two different scenarios:

1. low precision time sync needed: send a TCP telegram from HMI with PC timestamp and receive it on cRIO side, then here I calculate the time difference between local cRIO time and PC time and correct local cRIo time;

2. high precision time sync needed: use NTP protocol. The PC acts as a server while the cRIO as a client. You must install a NTP client linux package in your cRIO and configure it. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(199 Views)

Had this issue recently. I believe we solved this by using sysexec to call "sudo /bin/date --set <TIME>" where time was in the format "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S". You'll have to modify the sudoers file to give permissions for lvuser to run this command.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(180 Views)