LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Import->Shared Library (dll)" tool doesn't seem to be working in LabVIEW 2023 Q3

I've been using the 2022 Q3 community edition of LabVIEW to test the creation of a VI library (lvlib) and all worked fine. I've now purchased the Base edition of LabVIEW (2023 Q3) to enable distribution of the library and when running the "Import->Shared Library (dll)" tool, LabVIEW just closes when you get to the final stage.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,344 Views)

@CVoss wrote:

I've been using the 2022 Q3 community edition of LabVIEW to test the creation of a VI library (lvlib) and all worked fine. I've now purchased the Base edition of LabVIEW (2023 Q3) to enable distribution of the library and when running the "Import->Shared Library (dll)" tool, LabVIEW just closes when you get to the final stage.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do.  If you are trying to build a dll then you need at least developer edition.  But I have a feeling you aren't trying to build a dll; rather, you want make a distribution of the LabVIEW library that you created.  Is that true?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,307 Views)

Yes thats correct. I am simply creating a lvlib (for distribution) from an existing dll. The process fails for both the 32bit and 64bit versions -LaVIEW closes without giving any error messages. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,290 Views)

@CVoss wrote:

Yes thats correct. I am simply creating a lvlib (for distribution) from an existing dll. The process fails for both the 32bit and 64bit versions -LaVIEW closes without giving any error messages. 

So you're trying to make dll wrappers using the import tool and it fails with no error code?  That's something I'm unfamiliar with, I'm afraid.  Sorry.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,261 Views)

LabVIEW may crash without a visible pop-up, but there are other places to check to see if any more information can be found.

One is to look in "<My Documents>\LabVIEW Data\LVInternalReports\LabVIEW".  Or possibly the last folder would be the name of a project you had open instead of "LabVIEW".  Check to see if there's anything in there time-stamped when the program crashed.  Sometimes there's nothing, sometimes you get a .DMP file, but if you're lucky you get a "lvlog.txt" file (possibly inside a ZIP file) that has a bunch of occasionally helpful information in it.

The other place to look would be the Windows Event Viewer.  Check the logs for "Application" and "System" at the time of the crash and see if it made any entries that look related.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,256 Views)

I have the same issue.  I have the Developer Version of LV 2023 Q3 so that is not the issue. 

My colleague has the same version and is also unable to import dll's using the wizard.  The same dll and process worked OK with LV 2019.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(930 Views)

Same behavior in LabVIEW Professional 2023 Q3. 

1. To test this I created two fresh Windows 11 virtual machines on Hyper-V. 
    1. Install LabVIEW 2023 Q3 in one. 
    2. Install LabVIEW 2023 Q1 in the other.
  2. Create a simple DLL using MATLAB Coder.  It takes two waveforms and calculates two FFT's. 
  3. In LabVIEW, Tools-->Import Shared Library (.dll)
    1. 2023 Q3 crashes
    2. 2023 Q1 successfully imports the DLL

I've opened service request # 02603942.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(886 Views)

I have also experienced the same issue. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(797 Views)

Looks like this has been addressed in Patch 2 in case anyone comes across this

ShockHouse_0-1704988684987.png