LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting Host-Target Connection

I have two Host PCs connected to one Target PC each in my experimental setup. I restarted Host PC-1, but now I am not able to connect to Target PC-1 through NI-Max as well as LabVIEW. Target PC-1 doesn't appear under "Remote Systems" in NI-Max. The LAN cable is healthy. I tried to ping the Target through Command Prompt but it did not work.

I tried to connect Target-2 to Host-1 and it works. But Target-1 is not able to connect to either Host-1 or Host-2. Both the Target PCs have the PCIe-7852R FPGA cards installed.

Is there a way to figure out and fix this issue with my Target-1?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(53 Views)

Are you sure the problem is with LabVIEW?

Please verify that the two PCs can "ping" each other.  To do this, you need to know the IP Address of PC1 and PC2.  Let's assume PC1 is at 10.1.100.101, and PC2 is at 10.2.100.102

Go to PC1 and get a Command Prompt.  Type "Ping 10.2.100.102".  You should get responses back.  Now go to PC2, and Ping PC1.  If both Pings work, you know that, in principle, the two PCs can communicate over the Network with each other, so maybe (??) the problem is with LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(24 Views)

I'm going to look into my magic 8 ball and guess that you have a DCHP issue.

When you restart a computer, it will probably try to get a new DHCP address, and it might not get the same one as it did before. Especially if you changed something in the network.

You may also have to have them on the same subnet. I'm sure there's a way to make them work across subnets, but I've always found it easiest to have them on the same subnet.

Like Bob says, you need to see if the computers can even see each other. Get the local IP addresses at the command prompt as well with "ipconfig" and look for one labeled "Ethernet adapter" something, not "Wireless LAN" something.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(17 Views)