LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating LabVIEW

Hi all,

I am trying to update my LabVIEW program from 2013 to 2015.  It is the full development system.  I am running Windows 7.

When I try to install it, I get an error which says that the ni mdns responder service could not be deleted and to make sure I have administravive privledges to remove system services.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,027 Views)

For me, installing a new version of LabVIEW on a computer that already has it, has been a very time consuming task. I've had good luck with virtual machines like Virtual Box, if that is an option for you. Otherwise, if you continue to get errors, it may be best to uninstall all of the old LabVIEW items and start fresh, but even that is prone to having problems.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,005 Views)

Yes, sometimes installing a new Version "on top of" an existing Version goes awry.  What I find when some inexplicable error like "Make sure you have Admin rights" comes up, I do the following:

• Start with as clean a system as possible (which may mean "do a fresh reboot").
  • Install just LabVIEW (no Toolkits, no Modules, no Device Drivers), then reboot.  See if you can install and start LabVIEW OK.
  • If you get a message about needing Admin Rights, swear briefly, then Run as Admin and repeat the above steps.
  • Assuming the above works, start adding Modules and Toolkits, but no Device Drivers.  Reboot.
  • Finally, add the Device Drivers.

Suppose it still doesn't work.  Before reformatting your Hard Drive, reinstalling Windows and all your other applications, and restoring your User Files, try the following (in order):

• Try to Repair your earlier installation,  Open Programs and Features, find National Instuments Software, and choose the Repair option.  Be warned that you'll need your Installation Media to do this, so get those before trying this step.  If you installed from several DVDs, you'll need to "guess" which DVD is needed, but if you put the wrong one in, it will politely say "You Dummy, You Put the Wrong One In!" and you can try again.
  • If this fails, you can try uninstalling the earlier version.
  • Be warned -- neither Repair or Uninstall is very fast.  I haven't timed it, but it seems to take time comparable to installation, sometimes even longer.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,989 Views)