LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird characters received from instrument using serial communication in labview

We don't care about the program executable. How did you generate the pictured data? I assume using your "controller.vi" program from your first message.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 33
(618 Views)

This is what I got when I ran the code.

aj_dee_0-1705004621914.png

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 33
(604 Views)

This is what I had when I run the code. Earlier message was sent from my lab's PC.

aj_as_0-1705011786181.png

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 33
(593 Views)

aj_as_0-1705011786181.png

Arrrggghhh!  NO PICTURES, please!  Save the bytes you are getting in a (binary) file, and attach the file!  We need to see the data, not some (unknown) program spewing out largely unreadable characters.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 33
(588 Views)

File attached.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 33
(584 Views)

I was prevented from attaching the .txt file on here so I copied and pasted in word attached but they appear modified in the word version

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 33
(583 Views)

You can zip any file and attach it here.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 33
(567 Views)

zipped file attached

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 33
(557 Views)

Yes!  Real data!  Patterns begin to emerge!

What can you tell us about this stream of bytes?  Is this a "snapshot" of streaming data, by which I mean "data are coming in (at some rate) and this is an arbitrary sample of 337 continuous arrays of 8-byte records"?  I can see some periodicity in it, perhaps suggesting two "cycles" of about 160 x 8 byte data.  It does appear to be mainly numeric, mainly integer.  Haven't tried tricks like bit-reversal, but there are some intriguing periodicities in this sample.

Some questions:

• These data are coming from "something".  What do you think these data represent?
  • Is this a "complete sample" of data, that is, can you say something like "This is a complete data set, obtained by running my program for 1 hour"?
  • The opposite, of course, is "This is a snapshot of 10 milliseconds of data just chopped out of a much longer data stream".  Is this a closer description?
  • What do you expect these data to represent?  How many channels of signals are represented here?   [It looks, to me, like 1].  What can you say about the sampling rate?  What can you say about the sampling time represented by these data?  [Note if I'm right about my guesses about these data, I would expect sampling rate * sampling time to be around 400].

A few years back, I was handed some 9-track "computer tapes" (back in the days of CDC and DEC computers saving data on "mag tape") and was given the puzzle of deciphering what the (scientific) data were on those tapes.  Fortunately, they were a mix of integer, reals (32-bit, or as we called it, "single precision", and (as we called it) "ASCII".  Arrays could be recognized by the (now I don't remember if it was a 2-byte or 4-byte) header that gave the size.  We managed to resurrect the data, as I recall ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 33
(502 Views)

The data is highly repetitive with a period of 8 bytes.

The first two are mostly x0003, followed by two highly variable bytes followed by four bytes that are mostly x01000029. (very few exceptions, see below.

altenbach_0-1705164276567.png

Two exceptions where it does not start with x0003:

altenbach_0-1705164893545.png

and five exceptions where it does not end in x0029, but in x0028:

altenbach_0-1705165098259.png

and two exceptions where the third group is not x0100

altenbach_1-1705165274656.png

Obviously, we need to know much more about all this. Do you have the parsed table data for exactly the same dataset?

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 33
(498 Views)