NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSTB

Browse path directly from Testand

Hi there !

I am a super noob with Teststand, so please be lenient ! I wonder why, as we can do it with LabVIEW, there is no way to browse path from Testand to fill a variable or an input of a step ? The idea : rigth-click on the value then "Browse path..." (new option added because of the path type of the variable/input). Opening of the Windows Explorer with the "Select folder" option. Once clicked, this correctly formats and fills the field of the variable/input.

Thanks for reading,

Matthieu.

1 Comment
Elaine_R.
Active Participant

if I'm understanding you want help with Teststand populating a 'String' variable with path text?

so you're looking for the 'browse button' equivalent of the expression:

Locals.MyPath = @"C:\user\Bob\Desktop\Myfile.txt"  ?

while it's true that TestStand does have a custom Type for "Path," as far as I know it's just a simple alias for the basic string type that TS natively uses, so it's a bit different from how LabVIEW explicitly has unique UI behavior for "Strings" and "Paths".

I suspect that most users don't hardcode paths like this in TestStand very often.  Usually developers will work in 'relative' / partial/ programmatically built paths, or are reading data in from some sort of text / configuration file so that they can deploy easier? So while I could see the use of such a button, I don't know that I'd press it all that much...