NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined Step Type - Reporting format

Hi guys,

we combined a "Numeric Limit Test" with a Custom Step Type of our own. We are wondering how we can make the combined step to report in the same format as the Numeric Limit Test.

As you can see in the image below (Screenshot of the report) the Numeric Limit Test is reporting as expected. Everthing is alligned properly in one row.

Our question is, why the "Numeric Limit Test + Custom" (The combined one) is writing all of its values inside a new row?

Is there a way to resolve this behaviour, the goal would be to have the same result format as in "Numeric Limit Test".

I have attached the vi which generates the values (as you can see it is just passing a random number...)

Thanks much in advance.

BR Chris1.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,671 Views)

Hi Chris

I don't know enough about the XML results file formatting to answer your question but I have a question that may help.  Did you start by making a copy of the Numeric Limit Test type and modify it for your custom behaviour or did you start a new step type from scratch and make it look like Numeric Limit Test?  The reason I ask is that I suspect the XML results file formatter includes/excludes elements from the results file based on the step type, properties or values of properties (something along those lines) included within a step type (the TXT file formatting certainly uses the step type).  If you started from scratch, rather than from a copy of the NumericLimitTest, you may have missed something that the XML formatter is using.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,637 Views)

Hi Steve,

good point, to avoid all side effects, i created the orignial combined test not from scratch, but from a copy of the NI Numeric Limit test. Knowing that the Report DLL iterates recoursively over all properties of the teststep, you are maybe right.

Good point as well, that i could check the ini files itself to have a look at the properties there in raw format...

Cheers Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,635 Views)

As a sanity check (using TS2014), I created a copy of the Numeric Limit Test type and created sequence that called my copy and the original type and went for XML formatting. The results file format for both steps was the same as you see for the NI Numeric Limit Test type (I don't see your problem), of course my customisation was minimal (non-existent).  If your customisation isn't too large, maybe put it in bit by bit and see which bit gives you the issue?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,631 Views)

It seems that extra result values, will change the report format in my observed way. Also the values which were before pretty alligned will be moved to the other fields...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,624 Views)

Hi,

1.) Make a small demo sequence file only with your step and execute it.

2.) Open the report with a TextEditor (Notepad++)

3.) Find your step in the Xml-tree and check if your desired information is there.

4.) Modify the used stylesheet (.xsl)  to your needs.

Best Regards

Juergen 

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,610 Views)

@weigsivader1234 wrote:

It seems that extra result values, will change the report format in my observed way.

Yeah, that fits.   Its a shame TestStand changes the formatting of the values that aren't new but I can see why it works like that.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,604 Views)