cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling the Custom Step Type editing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am developing some custom step types and I don't want the sequence developer to be able to modify them. He should be able to access the Step properties only that are visible through the property browser. I would like my types to appear like the NI types - where everything is disabled for the user.

This way I can protect my types from getting corrupted by an adventurous sequence developer and also give him the freedom to design his own tests using the types I give him.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks.

Aditya

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,330 Views)

Hi,

Check out the Disable Properties Tab in the Step Type Property Dialog.

You will find one called Edit Code. Check this. (Note: in this view you have to check the items you wish to disable)

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,320 Views)

Hi Ray,

I tried the Disable Properties tab as you had suggested. Even though I checked the Edit Code property, I still did not get what I wanted.

I would like all the properties in the step property dialog  to be disabled (like they are for NI_Types - check attached image). I do not want the sequence developer to change anything  in the step type I develop and deliver to him. But, of course, he should still retain the freedom to design his own sequences using my step types.

Regards

Aditya Changavalli

TestStand 4.2.1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,311 Views)

Hi,

There are a whole series of properties that you can disable, each one represents a menu item when you right mouse click on a Step. ie to disable the Specify Module... menu item, you would need to check the 'Can Specify Module' in the Disable Properties.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ray

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,304 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Changi
If they are logging in as developer and not admin, you can change the priveleges>Configure>Edit types to false.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,289 Views)

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your answer. But what you are suggesting (and what the Disable properties dialog does) is disable step properties on the Step Settings pane and its tabs (as shown in Fig 1 attached). 

While what I am looking for is disabling properties in the custom step type properties dialog box (as shown in Fig 2). Also, if you notice closely this NI step type has even the check-boxes for enabling/disabling step properties disabled.

I think what Dennis has suggested is more appropriate.

Thank you both of you.

Regards,

Aditya Changavalli

using TestStand 4.2.1
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,287 Views)