NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Visual C++ run time error

Hi,

I'm running a sequence in TestStand 4.0 which calls various dlls written in C++ using Visual Studio 6. I have an intermittent problem with Teststand hanging on the step which calls a function in this dll. This does not happen every time, and I'm sure its not an issue with the dll as this dll has been working fine with teststand 3.0 for years. When TestStand starts up I get the following error:

Title: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"

Body: "Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\National In..

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate ti in an unusual way. Please concact the applications support team for mor information."

I think this is being thrown by version selector. I guess this is related to the crashes I've been having with the C++ dlls?

What is the cause of this and how can I fix it? The OS is Windows XP Service pack 3 (though this still occured when I uninstalled service pack 3, and after I re-installed TestStand 4). Also we have 2 machines set up the same and it occurs on both of them.

Interestingly I don't get the error or the crashes on my own machine (Same OS but service pack 2).

Any help will be welcome.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,110 Views)

Hi ILoveThis,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments. Could you possibly tell me which Dll you are calling? Are there any applications that you are running when this error occurs? Have you noticed any sort of correlation to when these errors are occuring?

Many thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,085 Views)

The Dll is a one written in house to send short ASCII messages over a lan. It references the TestStand API quite a lot. The occurances are pretty random. I'm now fairly convinced they are unrelated to the error that occurs when Teststand starts up as i've run the sequence on a different machine which does not get the error at startup and I still get the crashes. I guess therefore, as far as NI is concerned I just want to get rid of the Visual C++ runtime error at TS startup and the DLL will have to be pulled appart in house :-0.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,083 Views)

Hi iLoveThisJob,

I feel the best step to take first would be to try a repair on your TestStand install. You can access this from the Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Add and Remove Programs -> National Instruments software. In the dialogue box that opens, you will see Teststand listed and you should be able to repair. If this does not work, I would suggest removing teststand and then re-installing it. this may solve the issue.

Are you definitely using TestStand 4.0? There is a bug for TestStand 4.2 which sounds exactly like your bug. The workaround is simply to wait a bit longer after selecting which version to activate. To quote the bug's workaround, "Be patient and don't close the version selector while it's in the middle of making active."

Please let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,055 Views)

I have the same problem. After repairing and reinstalling Teststand, it is still apear.

I don't kown why.

It happened when I was using Opertor Interface to open a Teststand3.0 sequence file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,590 Views)

Tom and ILoveThisJob,

Could you please post screenshots of the errors you are seeing along with exact steps you take to receive the error?

Thanks!

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,556 Views)

We managed to sort it eventually, by recompiling the DLLs in VS2008 with the latest version of the TS api.

Sorry, not a very easy solution ;-(

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,554 Views)

Finally I repair it.

1. I repair the LV7.1.1 run-time engine first.

2. I ran the Teststand Verion Selector and actived the current verion.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,544 Views)