cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in workspace in teststand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All, 

I have encountered some problems using workspace in test stand and i need some suggestions and recommendations:

Scenario:

I have created my workspace in such a way,

• WorkSpace.
    • Project 1
      • Sequence 1
      • Sequence 2
      • Unique VIs
    • Project 2
      • Sequence 3
      • Sequence 4
      • Unique VIs 2
    • Project 3
      • Sequence 5
      • Unique Vis 3

All the projects also sharing common vis which i dump in the user lib at the NI directory. Every project has his own directory and own unique VIs. Every project all has his own deployment file. 

So i created three deployment package, namely project 1, project 2, & project 3.

I don't have a problem installing the package in individual PCs but when i try to install the three deployment packages in a single PC, then i hit a road block.

For example i installed project 1 and all the necessary files are already installed. And then i installed project 2. This is where the problem comes in. I check that all the files on project 2 are there but all the files for project 1 on its directory are all gone.

I am not sure what is causing this, i appreciate some comments on this.

Regards

Ray 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,852 Views)

hi,

are you saying that after you deploy project 2, all the files deployed from project1 have been removed from the target system?

What TestStand version are you using?

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,839 Views)

Hi Ray,

Yes. I believe that is the case. I'm using 4.1. Although every deployment works if i just install it alone in my production PC. 

One more thing, after i saw that the files are gone, i reinstalled project 1, but i get an error message telling me that project 1 or a higher revision of project one is already installed. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,836 Views)

Ray Balmeo -

The reason you are encountering this problem is because you are not updating the Upgrade Code for your installers. To get to the Upgrade Code, click the Advanced Options button under the Installer Options tab. This will launch the Advanced Installers Dialog box which contains the Upgrade Code field. The help for the Advanced Installers Dialog box says the following for the Upgrade Code.

Upgrade Code—Displays a string that uniquely identifies a related set of installers in Windows. Only one system, with a specific upgrade code, can be installed on a computer at a given time. An installer that has the same upgrade code and a higher version updates an older installation. The upgrade code corresponds to the [UpgradeCode] MSI property

Hope this helps!

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,807 Views)

Ray Balmeo -

I wanted to clarify. You don't have to update the Upgrade Code for each build. You just have to make sure that you have a different Upgrade Code for your three separate TestStand Deployment (.tsd) files: Project 1.tsd, Project 2.tsd, Project 3.tsd.

Message Edited by Manooch_H on 10-06-2009 11:38 AM
Manooch H.
National Instruments
Message 5 of 6
(3,803 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author boys2men

Hi Manooch,

Thank you for the solution. It worked. I think the problem was caused by using the save as function for the deployment file. After i changed the code it worked beautifully.

How do i put a solved in this thread?

Regards

Ray

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,759 Views)