NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show subsequence steps in SequenceView Control

Hello

I would like to show steps of the subsequence during execution in LabVIEW. I can do it using API and callbacks from TestStand and parsing the sequence, as seen in the picture:
subsequences.png

I'm wondering if I can make some customisations in SequenceView or ExecutionViewMgr objects to make them include the subsequence steps.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,875 Views)

I'm pretty sure this is not an option.  I think it is a very interesting concept though.  I wonder how it would handle dynamic sequence calls.

The SequenceView control is only populated with the active sequence of either the ExecutionViewMgr or the SequenceFileViewMgr.  Outside of changing visible columns  you don't have a lot of say as to what gets populated inside of it.  Your best bet is to do your own custom thing like you are doing if you need that kind of visibility.

There is an XML report (Expand) that will kind expand and collapse into the tree.  It only shows steps that are set to record though.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,839 Views)

Thanks for answer. There were some old posts from NI somewhere that said it cannot be done exactly due to dynamic calls and threading. That's why I was thinking about ExecutionViewMgr customisation - if I could only get any control over it.

More general question connected to this topic - how do you, experienced TestStand guys, deal with test steps in subsequences? Problem I described seems quite common to me, so are there any good practices, patterns or ideas of how to use subsequences to modularize your sequence and at the same time give full feedback to the final user?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,813 Views)

A good test system will tell the story through the report.  Viewing the final or completed tracing shouldn't even be an option.

In fact we have a rule that most of our subsequences will disable tracing.  It should be something the end user shouldn't need to worry about.  All they care about is what button to push next.  Is there a reason they need to see the flow like you are saying?

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,810 Views)

The reason to see the flow is that it's the easiest way to show the progress. I don't necessarily want to show all the steps, but only those which are tests. And I understand there might be a better way than using tracing - I'm still newbie to TestStand, so every day I get a couple of "oh, I didn't know it was possible" moments 😉 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,713 Views)