NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS 3.5 needs 80 sec. for startup

Since some time (not from beginning) TS 3.5 SeqEditor takes approx. 80 sec. for start-up.
(Startup screen appears, then nothing happens for long time)
CPU load is high first for few seconds, then absolutely low till SeqEditor really starts.

Remove & reinstall TS doesn't solve problem.

Even starting application within SeqEditor (e.g. Database viewer) needs 80 sec. to start

Have installed TS 2.0.1 as well - no problems there.

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,330 Views)
Does your setup have too access a network to retrieve or search for files. What's in you search paths. Try switching off or deleting any un-uses paths.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,295 Views)

Absolutely no success (completely empty search directories - of course my applications won't work than)!

Empty recent file list - no result! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,253 Views)
I see the same on my set up. It takes at least 80sec and sometimes it's closer to 100sec.

kph
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,244 Views)

bestware and kphite -
We have not heard of any issue like this. Please confirm that the delay is between the display of the splash screen and before the display of the main window of the sequence editor?

If you are up for it, please try each of the following separately to determine which one might be the issue. Each of these could block or slow down the startup of the application is some way so we want to try each of them to isolate or run them out.

• Please disconnect the network cable or disable the network in the control panel, and test the startup time to rule out that the system is trying to access the network in some way or to force an error to occur sooner instead of waiting.
  • Remove any non-default search directories, then test the startup time. (you said you tried this)
  • Make sure that the configuration directory on the Preferences tab of the Station Options dialog box is <TestStand Default Location>.
  • TestStand calls the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\TestStand Version Selector\TSVerSelect.exe on startup to validate some settings. Rename this file, then test the startup time.
  • Configure your station options to not load a process model, then test the startup time.
  • Remove the type palette ini files from the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 3.5\Components\NI\TypePalettes directory and save them somewhere else, then test the startup time.
  • Can you try one of the operator interfaces to determine if this make a difference to test the startup time.
Scott Richardson
https://testeract.com
Message 5 of 8
(4,227 Views)

Thanks a lot, Scott !

It's the network - removed the cable, then it starts up within few seconds!

There's no error message that something cannot be found. Absolutely no settings accessing any network-drive etc. (search directories).

So I'm wondering what it's looking for via network ?

Reconnect network cable startup time is high again.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,211 Views)

Christian -

I assume that there are applications out there that could monitor the inbound and outbound activity from your computer to tell you what is going on, but I have never tried to use one of these.

The other items in my previous post are the only things that I can think of. You could try to each of these individually with the network connected to see if one of these is the culprit. 

Another thing that I have seen on my personal system is that when I have a network connected shares that are sometimes not available, that removing these can make a difference for some applications. I have only seen TestStand affected by an unavailable network shared when using the File Open dialog box.

Scott Richardson
https://testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,193 Views)

I have found two tools useful for diagnosing issues with network access and program performance.

Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) can be used to monitor network traffic at the packet level.

Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) shows what programs are performing file I/O and what paths and files they are accessing.  This can be useful for tuning the search directory settings in TestStand.

In the case of this problem you would have seen that TestStand was accessing network drives and what file(s) it was looking for. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,292 Views)