NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test Executive (Release x86) has stopped working

I received the error at the end of Thermal Testing, I was entering a Post ESS Test.  I had run the same code the day before, but only 1 Loop, today I performed 6 Loops of the Sequence.  The error says that TestStand or the User Interface has stopped working.

This error, or a similar error has periodically appeared while we were developing/testing in Test Stand 2012 SP1.  Suggestions?

I am in a release cycle of the code, so need to resolve quickly.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,086 Views)

Which TestExec are  you using?  The LabVIEW one?  I would try the C++ or C# one.  They tend to be less buggy in my opinion.  We had an issue where the LabVIEW one wouldn't print the report correctly but the others did just fine.  Turns out it was a bad dll somewhere deep in the bowels of the executive.  It actually was a different program we were installing that was corrupting the dll.  But I have seen other cases where the LabVIEW one would throw a bad variables pane error but the others wouldn't.  Can't remember what was causing that issue.

Can you send a screenshot of the error?

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,068 Views)

I am using the LabWindows/CVI User Interface.  Error Screen  shot attached.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,062 Views)

Does it exhibit the same behavior in the sequence editor?

This might help us narrow it down to a testexec vs sequence file issue.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,056 Views)

It is intermittent.  I have seen the Sequence Editor also Crash, it was not always at this location or time.  It happens radomly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,052 Views)

Ugh.  Those are the worst.

So is it easily reproduceable with Test Exec?  Looking through your code I only see a couple things.  Is this a cusom test exec?  Because I see that you are posting UI Messages to it. If you are using the native Test Execs it shouldn't be an issue.  It can handle custom UI Messages no problem.

The other one, and most likely what is causing the issue, is that your custom dlls could be tromping on the Test Exec's or Engine's memory space.
  I noticed that you are passing things by reference to those dlls.

One thing you can do to narrow it down is process of elimination.  Basically we need to isolate the issue.  Remove steps until you find out which one is causing the issue.  Then hone in on that.  In your comments you said it is more likely when you loop.  This leads me to believe that something isn't getting released in an early loop and then a later one expects it to be in a certain state?

Anyhow, these are my thoughts based on what I have.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,048 Views)

Hi All,

We are currently using Teststand 2010 and we have been using it for over 3years now and recently we have been experiencing the same error "Test Executive (Release x86) has stopped working" that usually happens during or in the middle of the test. We are using CVI test Exec and we don't know root cause of this error. Currently we stop using the simple interface and trying to use the editor mode and Hopefully we will get a different result. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Please see the attached picture.

Thanks

Will

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,970 Views)

Will,

I noticed this thread is from 3 years ago. I would recommend creating a new post and linking this one to your new post. This will help it get seen by more people.

Some questions I have though are:

1. What about your system has changed from working to not working?
  2. Does this happen with any sequence files, or just certain ones?
  3. Does the error happen randomly, or consistently?
  4. What results have you seen from using the editor mode?

The best thing to do though is create a new post to get more traffic and ideas.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,953 Views)

Hi Jacob,

I just created a new post.

Answers to your Some questions:

1. What about your system has changed from working to not working?
  2. The system has not been changed
  3. Does this happen with any sequence files, or just certain ones?
  4. Any sequence
  5. Does the error happen randomly, or consistently?
  6. Randomly
  7. What results have you seen from using the editor mode?
  8. Thus far, production has been running no error as of yet
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,939 Views)