NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xml report import to excel

Hi All,

Not sure this is the right board for this question but I'm trying to import a TS report in xml format into MS Excel. I'm importing without the stylesheet as an xml table and all appears ok initially but then on closer inspection a lot of the <value> tags are missing from the import, but not all. Anyone got any idea why this might be?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,147 Views)
Hi Nickstorton,

Thanks for posting your query, I've had experience with TestStand reports, however I haven't imported the report to Excel. However if you could post a cut down report so that I could try and replicate the issue and find a solution, it would be extremely useful. Otherwise I've found some links for the customization of reports in XML format which may help resolve your issue.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EC64D7C24421A2E58625751D00491809

I look forward to hearing your response.

Best Regards,

Soloman
Application Engineer (CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,127 Views)

Hi Soloman,

Thanks for your quick reply. Any TS report in xml format will show the problem. For example if you run any sequence in single pass mode and then look at the xml report in a text editor you will see the UUT serial number tag and the value tag for this is empty <value></value>. If you then import this into excel there will be no column for the value of the UUT serial number. This may well be what you would expect, but if you now modify the report in the text editor and put any number inside the value tags and import again there will still be no column for the UUT serial number value. You will see value columns further into the report though. It is truley weird.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,102 Views)
Hi Nickstorton,

I've been playing around with the XML files I get from TestStand. You mentioned the UUT Serial Number tag has blank values, could you identify what other values do not appear for yourself.

I also wanted to ask what happens when you select the "Open the file with the following stylesheet applied" option.

Best Regards,

Soloman
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,089 Views)

Hi Soloman,

The report I generate is fairly large, in the region of 12500 results, there are various values throughout the report that do not appear but there does not appear to be any pattern to this that I can see. I cannot import with the stylesheet as our IT policy here does not allow us to enable scripts when importing files into excel.

Thanks for your help with this,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,080 Views)

Hi NickStorton,

Thanks for explaining the scenario to me, it has cleared up a few things. It seems that it boils down to the fact that certain values do not appear and you want to amend the report so they are apparent and documented correctly. I have found a community example of someone how has developed a call back that can be added to your XML report to get the values you require. 

Community Example : https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12617

In this example the person has managed to reference two local variables one of which was Locals.SerialNumber, so I believe you would be able to implement the same concept. There is a more detailed description of the example with relevant knowledge base articles. Please have a read and let me know whether this will be suitable for yourself.

Best Regards,

Soloman

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,005 Views)