Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bruel Kjaer 2260 Investigator

We are using B&K 2260 Investigator to measure noise as a stand alone device. Now, we want  to use this with LabView so we can create and automated measurement. Unfortunately, there's no driver for this device (plug and play) so if there's any other way to do this please let me know. By the way, I can set the device to give me a 0-4 VDC output that corresponds to the sound/noise getting picked up.

One Step At A Time, Maybe Two...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(9,422 Views)

Hello,

I was unable to find any drivers for your instrument on our Instrument Driver network. You can try contacting the manufacturer and see if they have any drivers that you can use with LabVIEW. You can also develop your own drivers by using the following resources.

Using the Instrument I/O Assistant to Aid in Creating LabVIEW Instrument Drivers

Development Tools and Resources

Thank you,

Simran K
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(9,404 Views)

Thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(9,401 Views)

I took a look at the B&K device. Apparently you can write to excel data formats over RS232. You could potentially use LabVIEW to record an RS232 stream of excel type data, and then play with the data on the PC. However, being able to control the 2260 is a different story.

If the test that you want to perform is very simple, perhaps you could use one of the AC input outputs to trigger a particular type of test on the 2260, and then monitor the RS232 interface for data. I'm not familiar with the B&K software, but it sounds like you can set up some kind of triggering of acquisitions. If you could do acquisitions based on triggers, then you could use a DAQ type device (or maybe something even simpler) to source triggers whenever you want measurements. Those are just a few thoughts.

You also mentioned that you could program a 0-4V output corresponding to the noise measurement of your 2260. I suppose that if noise is the only measurement you are taking with the 2260,  you could use a DAQ type device to record the DC voltage level coming out of the 2260. But that would require some extra hardware. Depending on the precision you need, you may be able to use something less expensive like a USB-6008 or 6009. Depending on your test setup and required precision, that might work for you.

If you haven't already moved past this problem, then I hope this is helpful.

Daniel 

Hardware 

Conditioned Measurements  

Message 4 of 13
(9,314 Views)

Thanks for the reply, this is just my background project and never got around with so far but I'm sure your input will be a helpful.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(9,309 Views)

Did it ever worked?

I need to communicate with the investigator as well and I think you knowledge can be helpful for me.

I have the serial interface commands but I don't have the knowledge to write a LabVIEW program for it. It's fairly new to me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,767 Views)

Hello Joris,

No, I found out from B&K that serial port is for printing purposes only. But according to them, higher model has ability to communicate via serial com. Do you have 2260 as well?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,758 Views)

Yes, I have the 2260 as well.

B&K had send me the serial interface commands. This is possible after updating the software of the investigator.

Now I'm figuring out how I need to write a LabVIEW program for my master thesis.

This link can direct you to my question about the investigator. The serial interface commands are in an attachment there.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Bruel-amp-kjaer-investigator-2260/m-p/2337208#M731734

but I still need some help with writing the VI for the investigator. All the help is welcome!

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,750 Views)

Hi,

It must be your lucky day, because I am from a NATA Accredited Testing Laboratory in Australia and am building an automated Calibration system. I am using labview to control instrumetns and equipment and I have sucuessfully completed a range of Sound Level Meters and am now up to the B&K range of equipment.

I was looking around for serial control codes, and found that you posted the link to the 2260 SLM codes, Thanks for that.

So what do you want the VI to do to your 2260?

Jason.

Message 9 of 13
(7,708 Views)

Hello Jason,

That's great news!

The 2260 needs to measure the sound pressure for a certain amount of minutes.

So the result will be a good average of the measurement.

This measurement will be needed at every frequency.

But the serial commands are depending on the installed software.

Also the fact that the 2260 echoes each character is a essential point for the VI.

Joris.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,701 Views)