LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LABVIEW controlled USB-to-SPI Hardware

Hey all! I'm trying to find a piece of hardware I can control via LabView that can send data via SPI protocol. It doesnt need to be anything special. I was using a FT232H chip but for the life of me I can not get it to work via LabView. Anyone know of anything. I know NI has some $500 dollar module but thats a hell of a lot more hardware than I need. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(310 Views)

you can try using an arduino for that. 

Message 2 of 9
(307 Views)

@q1uant wrote:

Hey all! I'm trying to find a piece of hardware I can control via LabView that can send data via SPI protocol. It doesnt need to be anything special. I was using a FT232H chip but for the life of me I can not get it to work via LabView. Anyone know of anything. I know NI has some $500 dollar module but thats a hell of a lot more hardware than I need. Thanks!

This is a good reason start a open source project to build LV drivers for FT232H.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(288 Views)

Raspberry Pi would be another option if going on the cheap side.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(284 Views)

I need one of these as well and found several on Amazon.  I think I'm going to try out the Adafruit option though.

Adafruit FT232H Breakout - General Purpose USB to GPIO, SPI, I2C [USB C & Stemma QT] : ID 2264 : Ada...

This one uses the FTDI FT232H chip and is designed for control with Python code.  I can use Python but would rather have the option to control it with LabVIEW and C#/.NET as well.  I'll post back if I find better choices...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(266 Views)

I had high hopes for the Waveshare products.  Especially this one ($21 at amazon😞  USB TO UART/I2C/SPI/JTAG - Waveshare Wiki

The Python example code just uses ctypes, so LabVIEW should be able to talk to it through a DLL, but there are no LabVIEW drivers I have found for any of these products.  That's not too surprising considering LabVIEW's popularity these days. ☹️ 

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(256 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:
This is a good reason start a open source project to build LV drivers for FT232H.

Here is a place to start: https://lavag.org/topic/19993-cr-mpsse-spi 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(253 Views)

@q1uant wrote:

Can you expand on what is not working for you with the FT232H chip? AFAIK, the FT232 chip only does RS232, not SPI or I2C... but I could be wrong.

The FT4232 chip can do all the serial protocols, including SPI and I2C.

I am personally using a "FT4232H MINI MODULE" dev board from FTDI. Available from Digikey. About the same price as an R-PI but a lot less functionality.

Adafruit also has a "FT232H USB TO GPIO/SPI/I2C" adapter board. It is half the price of the FTDI dev board. Also available from  Digikey.

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(252 Views)

@LVNinja wrote:

you can try using an arduino for that. 

This is what I used when I wanted cheap SPI in the past.  An Arduino can be flashed with the LIFA, or LINX software, and then that toolkit in LabVIEW can be used.  I usually have difficulty figuring out various settings.  But once I got it working I was able to select the NI SPI hardware or Arduino one for projects.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(220 Views)