LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Base version Questions

Hi All,

I am starting a project and need to buy LabVIEW for it (I used in college). I am not sure if the Base version will have what I need (list below). Can you help confirm this version will work me please?

I need to read from the field the following:

Positioning using GPS signals.

Positioning using WiFi signals.

Speed, voltage and amperage.

My understanding is the community version can't do this, correct?

Thanks in advance!

George

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(78 Views)

Whatever you're mentioning doesn't have anything to with Community or Professional version, anyway these are all supported by the external hardware you interface with and the libraries or drivers using which you interact with them.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 3
(64 Views)

The community edition is functionally almost equivalent to the professional edition. The restriction is in the way you are allowed to use it.

It is also only available in 32bit, which is not really a problem.

@GDuncan74 wrote:

I need to read from the field the following:

Positioning using GPS signals.

Positioning using WiFi signals.

Speed, voltage and amperage.

This is ambiguous. What is a "field"? Is that a string received from an instrument that contains these values encoded somehow?

LabVIEW is a general programming language, nothing more. It cannot measure WIFI or GPS signals, speed, voltage, and amperage. You need external hardware for that. If these are common instruments, free drivers will be available and will be easy to interface with LabVIEW. Even if there are no drivers, chances are that it will be easy to communicate as long as the API is documented.

Once you tell us about the hardware setup, we can offer more detailed guidance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(20 Views)