LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview programming for single channel Ballard MIL-1553 USB Card

Hello,

I Have a Single channel Ballard MIL-1553 card and its model no. is UA1120. I have downloaded the latest version of its drivers from the ballard website and i try to program the card as BC and create a BC message and transmit to LRU which act as RT and then again reading back the data from LRU(RT) by configuring it as RT and Create an RT message and the read the data. But i am not getting the actual data as specified in the ICD. instead of the actual data, i am getting all zero's. the only thing it matches is the word count. The Remote terminal address, TR Flag, Subaddress value is given the same as mentioned in the ICD. Although i am not getting any actual data, there is no error in the program. Can anyone help me in solving this Problem.

I am using

64 bit Windows 11 OS.

Labview 2020 64 BIT version.

BTIINST64 Version drivers(64 bit ver)

BTIVI.llb 64 bit Libraries.

Do anyone of you has written any code for this Ballard 1553 module in the past. If possible, can anyone share their code with me please?

Waiting for your help.

Thanks in Advance

Satish Kumar Velpula

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(2,452 Views)

I suppose there is something wrong with your code.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(2,414 Views)

Have you tried connecting a bus monitor to allow you to see the data that's travelling on the bus. This might give you a clue as to where to start looking for the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(2,408 Views)

Hi Bill,

I haven't written any of the code on my own. when i install the ballard drivers, there were a few examples installed in the directory for BTIVI.llb. I am using those examples only. in those examples, example 1 & example 2 are to configure it as BC and transmit a msg. Example 3 is to config as RT read the RT message back. Example 4 is to monitor the BUS. i am using these examples only and try to acheive the result. when i run the code, there was no errors. At the same time, the actual data also missing. please suggest me to how to solve this.

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(2,389 Views)

HI John.

Yes. I tried to Config it as Monitor too and view the result, but nothing happens there. Please help me in this. 

This is too confusing for me and i am not able to know where the problem lies in. 

Satish.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(2,386 Views)

How do you know it's not "actual data"?  I am asking because you said you got the correct byte count.  That means (very likely) a valid response.  it means you are communicating with the equipment.  Now you just have to figure out if everything is hooked up right.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(2,373 Views)

Hi Bill,

We have a ICD in which all the transmit and recieve messages are been specified. we have a transmit msg with Terminal address 13, Subaddress value 2, Wordcount value 1, TR Flag value 0 which frames the cmd word 0x6841 with 1 data word 0xCCCC. First, we configure the Ballard device as BC and send this message to LRU(RT). Then we will  read the data from RT by configuring it as RT and create an RT message with Terminal address 13, Subaddress value 2, Wordcount value 4, TR Flag value 1 which frames the cmd word 0x6C44. we must receive 4 data words from RT and these 4 data words should be as follows. 1st word - status word, 2nd word - checksum, 3rd word - Date & Version, 4th word - month & Year. But i am seeing all four zero's instead of the actual data. 

We have a old application which has been developed 7 to 8 years ago by others(not in LabVIEW). With that we saw the actual data coming out of the RT. 

Now, as we thought of enhancing the old application with some additional features, we started developing a new code. But this time in LabVIEW. 

But unfortunately we are encountering with the above said problem. So please help me to figure it out.

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(2,361 Views)

@satvasu wrote:

Hi Bill,

We have a ICD in which all the transmit and recieve messages are been specified. we have a transmit msg with Terminal address 13, Subaddress value 2, Wordcount value 1, TR Flag value 0 which frames the cmd word 0x6841 with 1 data word 0xCCCC. First, we configure the Ballard device as BC and send this message to LRU(RT). Then we will  read the data from RT by configuring it as RT and create an RT message with Terminal address 13, Subaddress value 2, Wordcount value 4, TR Flag value 1 which frames the cmd word 0x6C44. we must receive 4 data words from RT and these 4 data words should be as follows. 1st word - status word, 2nd word - checksum, 3rd word - Date & Version, 4th word - month & Year. But i am seeing all four zero's instead of the actual data. 

We have a old application which has been developed 7 to 8 years ago by others(not in LabVIEW). With that we saw the actual data coming out of the RT. 

Now, as we thought of enhancing the old application with some additional features, we started developing a new code. But this time in LabVIEW. 

But unfortunately we are encountering with the above said problem. So please help me to figure it out.

Satish

We can't really help you if you don't supply us with some code.  And not a picture of the block diagram, I mean the VI(s).  If you have access to the "old code" source, that would give you valuable hints at what might be wrong.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(2,353 Views)

HI Bill,

As i don't Know your version of labview and i use labiew 2020 SP1 64 bit version in my system, i dont have idea to which version i should down convert it and send it to you. so i am trying to provide you the drivers and API libraries itself with which we can work.But the size is around 95 Mb. So i am not able to attach the files here as it exceeds the limit.

If possible, please download the drivers and manuals from the following URL.

https://ballardsupport.astronics.com/support.aspx/myballard/ 

Once you enter into the above said URL, you must go to USB 1553 category and under the USB 1553 category, you can find the drivers.

If you find difficult in it, please provide me your personal mail id to which i will share the drivers and manuals.

Once after you download the drivers,

If your system OS is 32 bit,

First, we need to install BTIINST32 EXE.

Second, If you navigate into the USB folder, you can find  labview folder in which we can find 32 bit labview API drivers . install 32 bit Labview API drivers. Inside the USB5G folder, the navigation is as follows USB5G\API\EXAMPLES\LABVIEW.

If your system OS is 64 bit,

First we need to install BTIINST64 EXE.

Second, If you navigate into the USB folder, you can find labview64 folder in which we can find labview 64 bit API drivers . install 64 bit Labview API drivers. Inside the USB5G folder, the navigation is as follows USB5G\API\EXAMPLES\LABVIEW64.

Note: Here, in this case the labview version is also 64-bit only.

Once after the installation, you will see the API libraries in the function palettes

under the 'User Libraries'. I am attaching a screenshot of the same for your reference.

BTIVI fun pallettes.jpg

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(2,332 Views)

HI Bill,

i forgot to tell you one thing in the above reply.

unfortunately we dont have the source code of the old application. 

Also, am attaching the screenshots of the Block Diagram code and its front panel GUI  of the example codes we are using.

Ex 1 Front panel.jpg

Ex 1 Block Diagram.jpg

Ex 2 Front panel.jpg

Ex 2 Block Diagram.jpg

Ex 3 Front panel.jpg

Ex 3 Block Diagram.jpg

Ex 4 Front Panel.jpg

Ex 4 Block Diagram.jpg

Please do the needful.

Thanks

Satish 

Satish