LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview programming for single channel Ballard MIL-1553 USB Card

I haven’t done 1553 communication in a long time and the interface used was from AIT I believe, but the the idea to switch from BC to RT halfway sounds wrong. Your card is either the Bus Controller BC (usually) or the RT device but not both alternatingly . If your card isn’t the BC, someone else has to be and your device is very likely not capable to be that.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(906 Views)

Hi Rolf,

Yes  i was wrong in saying that i have to configure the card again as an RT to receive the message from RT. My card is a BC. I config the card as a BC and create a BC Message and transmit the message from BC to RT(LRU) and then i has to create a RT message to receive the data from the RT(LRU). Do you have any idea on how to work with this Ballard device? 

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(896 Views)

@satvasu wrote:

Hi Rolf,

Yes  i was wrong in saying that i have to configure the card again as an RT to receive the message from RT. My card is a BC. I config the card as a BC and create a BC Message and transmit the message from BC to RT(LRU) and then i has to create a RT message to receive the data from the RT(LRU). Do you have any idea on how to work with this Ballard device? 

Satish

Edit: wait, I ma have misread something.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(892 Views)

@satvasu wrote:

Hi Rolf,

Satish

Why do you feel you need to create an RT message to receive one?  Are you trying to be two things at once?  Are you trying to emulate an RT at the same time?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(887 Views)

Hi Bill,

Once we create a BC message and transmit the message with the cmd word and its data word to RT, the RT will process the cmd word, data words and will be ready with its response(data). i need to read back the data from RT(LRU) and Analyze & process it. So, to receive the data back from RT, we need to create an RT message with the appropriate cmd word and then only we are able to receive the data words from RT(LRU) right? 

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(879 Views)

@satvasu wrote:

Hi Bill,

Once we create a BC message and transmit the message with the cmd word and its data word to RT, the RT will process the cmd word, data words and will be ready with its response(data). i need to read back the data from RT(LRU) and Analyze & process it. So, to receive the data back from RT, we need to create an RT message with the appropriate cmd word and then only we are able to receive the data words from RT(LRU) right? 

Satish

To tell you truth, I have no idea what your architecture actually looks like.  It sounds like you don't know quite enough about the subject you are asking about to ask the right questions, because what you are describing sounds totally wrong.  Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-1553 to see if you can better describe what it is you are doing, because as far as I know, you don't have an operating 1553 bus without a controller.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(866 Views)

@billko wrote:

@satvasu wrote:

Hi Bill,

Satish

To tell you truth, I have no idea what your architecture actually looks like.  It sounds like you don't know quite enough about the subject you are asking about to ask the right questions, because what you are describing sounds totally wrong.  Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-1553 to see if you can better describe what it is you are doing, because as far as I know, you don't have an operating 1553 bus without a controller.

This may be semantics here. I assume that you’re setting up one transmit message and filtering for one receive message on the bus controller to match the return message from the RT. Is that correct? Can you share some code showing how you are currently doing this that is not working? 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(860 Views)

Hi John,

Yes. what you said is correct. But as i already told, i havent written any of the code on my own. i am simply using the example programs given by ballard. i am just using a sequence structure and calling two of those examples one by one by passing the appropriate Terminal address, TR Flag, Subaddress, word count & data words. please see my above posts in which i already shared a URL where we can download the drivers and manuals. When we install the drivers, the BTIVI.llb will be installed and the required vi's and examples will be displayed in the function palettes. I have already shared this screenshot too in one of my above post. Also for your reference, i shared the images of both the front panel GUI and the Block diagram Code of the example programs in one of my above posts.

If you find difficult in downloading those drivers, please give me your personal mail id to which i will share the drivers and manuals.

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(849 Views)

You can’t do it that way. You need to use the examples as that, examples, but you can’t run one and then the other and it work. You’re closing the BC, so there’s no longer a bus for the RT to respond. The response from the RT will be lost. You need to set up both a Tx and an Rx at the beginning. I had previously been under the misunderstanding that you were using two of the examples but had written your own code.

What is your level of experience with LabVIEW? I’m curious because getting these drivers to work will require some skill with LabVIEW in addition to an understanding of the ICD and how the 1553 bus works.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(842 Views)

Hi John,

I have tried that way too.   But if i try to setup both the transmit and the receive in the beggining it was throwing error. the error was " too many channels were configured". 

if you read the description in the example 2 front panel, it states that that example will configure the card no. 0 as BC and transmit the schedule of three messages. But here, i modify it to transmit one message as per my requirement.

Now, if you read the description in the example 3 front panel, it states that that example will configure the card no. 0 as RT to receive the BC-RT data transmitted by the bus controller in example 2.

So i thought of using the example 2 and example 3 one after the other by placing them in a sequence structure by passing the necessary inputs.

I done CLAD. I have been working on labview since few years and have developed few Data acquisition applications too for NI hardware as well as for UEI hardware. And also i have worked with MIL-1553 protocol in the past but with different interface. but this ballard interface is looking quiet different for me to understand and i am getting confused.

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(835 Views)