cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS log view

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

How to view TDMS data logs in graphs? I have TDMS log file with 15,00,000 rows readings. I want to view those data in graph format. is there any easy way?

Thanks

Kumaresan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(413 Views)

Hi Kumaresan,

@Kumaresan.mech wrote:

How to view TDMS data logs in graphs? I have TDMS log file with 15,00,000 rows readings. I want to view those data in graph format. is there any easy way?

Use the TDMSFileViewer, found in the TDMS file functions palette…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(395 Views)
Message 3 of 9
(380 Views)

works well. Thanks

one more question, what is the max size would be safe limit for TDMS log files? I mean my TDMS log files size is 100Mb, is this safe or should I keep it small?

Thanks

Kumaresan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(354 Views)

Hi Kumaresan,

@Kumaresan.mech wrote:

what is the max size would be safe limit for TDMS log files? I mean my TDMS log files size is 100Mb, is this safe or should I keep it small?

100MB is "not large" for TDMS files…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(347 Views)

So, I can continue to log in single tdms file as much as i need. size doesn't matter. Got it!.

Sorry one more question.

Let's say, if my customer wants the log file and I send the log to them, they don't have Tdms file viewer or Labview runtime engine. how would they read and view the logs in graph? I think these logs are too much to handle for excel graph method. is there any better way?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(333 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kumaresan.mech

Hi Kumaresan,

@Kumaresan.mech wrote:

Let's say, if my customer wants the log file and I send the log to them, they don't have Tdms file viewer or Labview runtime engine. how would they read and view the logs in graph? I think these logs are too much to handle for excel graph method. is there any better way?

Create a support tool for your customer to allow them to read/display TDMS data and export (all data or subsets) to other formats (like CSV)… (Or point them to ScoutX or similar tools as suggested above.)

Ask the customer what exactly they need!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(328 Views)

Okay got it. Thank for your support

Thanks

Kumaresan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(323 Views)

In the past I've tried making tools to view TDMS files in a more friendly way, specifically for the data I would be collecting.  But almost every time I will show them Scout, and show how easy it is to graph, and take measurements and they accept that as the solution.  We've had multi gigabyte TDMS files.  Probably on the order of 10GB as the largest.  They often will compress really well so you can try to zip them as a final process.

If you are worried about size, maybe check out my Tremendous TDMS toolkit.  Here's a video showing how it can be used to automatically make a new TDMS file once the file size goes above some value.

https://youtu.be/4nSz8UR2XfI

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(300 Views)