LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the extract single tone vi do?

When using an extract single tone vi, what does it actually do? Does it give the frequency, phase and amplitude of the HIGHEST amplitude wave? Say we provide a waveform of 400 samples of an undermined number of sine waves.....Are there any documents with block diagrams that explains this? 

Message 1 of 13
(6,217 Views)
Have you checked the context help? Seems to be a lot of information there.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,209 Views)

Seems like I wouldn't ask the question without reading "Context Help", do people do that?

I am trying to understand what it means...... Sometimes, I find NIs explanation as follows: eg. number of records: Number of records to be entered. (But, what is a record?)

My question was related to "single tone", What does that mean? Does it mean within that window, it returns the "frequency" "amplitude" and "phase" (single values for each) from a whole array of samples?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,203 Views)

There is an amazing subVI in the Extract Single Tone information.vi, it has to be seen to be believed and then unseen as quickly as possible.

For more information there is a link in this thread:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Extract-Single-Tone-Information-from-Hann-Spectrum/td-p/139345

and for fun:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Scary-LabVIEW-images/m-p/1580676#M578210

Message 4 of 13
(6,201 Views)

It's a qoute from help "Takes a signal in, finds the single tone with the highest amplitude or searches a specified frequency range, and returns the single tone frequency, amplitude, and phase"

Do you have any questions about it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,198 Views)

My head started hurting when I opened and went deep into all the subvis. All I would like to know what does the output represent?

1. Just the dominant frequency?

2. Amplitude corresponding to that frequency?

3. Phase (relative to what?) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,197 Views)

@TooEagerToLearn wrote:

My head started hurting when I opened and went deep into all the subvis. All I would like to know what does the output represent?

1. Depends on input. If you don't specify the freq. range, than it takes tone of frequency with highest ampltude in whole signal.

2. Yep.

3. Phase is determined relative to zero (in time).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,190 Views)

@TooEagerToLearn wrote:

1. yes, the strongest frequenc
  2. Yep
  3. A tone is assumed to be a sine wave.  So if the first point is the positive peak, you would get 90 degrees.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,186 Views)

THanks guys!

If I have the drive frequency changing on loading conditions, I am sure this vi would capture the dominant frquency and amplitude. What would work to capture the harmonics? I am not sure how many, but I need to calculate power from AC current and voltage signal for both drive frequency and all other frequencies, i.e. harmonics.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,142 Views)

Do a full-fledged FFT and look for the peaks in there.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,136 Views)