NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
MimiKLM

Feature request: allow to change the colour of the background of each step

I'm declining this idea due to lack of community support.

Hi,

The best would be to draw/paint the feature I'm proposing. However, it would take not so small amount of time, so I decided, regrettably, to write about it.

I wrote the word regrettably because visualised description of the target feature would be very much more attractive than words. Anyway... Back to the point.

The description is as simple as in subject: to allow to change the colour of the background of each step (separately).

Could you imagine how much the readability of the sequence could be improved with this feature? I think that would improve it a lot.

Mainly this feature could be enabled during coding and debugging as during these activities the developers have the problem with readability especially when the sequence is long and the whole project is big and long in time. It could be set to off on when the sequence will be on the shop floor, nevertheless, even in the operator mode this feature could deliver some 'tracing' benefits.

Developers could easily group block of steps and in very natural way - just to color the background of the steps - create a visual 

Reading colors is faster, easier, more intuitive than reading the structures (indent, nested calls). OK it is  - let call it  - one dimensional and it looks flat but it would add another degree of freedom in classifying/grouping the steps improving and speeding up overall readability.

The place (yellow) where this feature (just colour) can be controlled from:

Capture44.PNG

2 Comments
MimiKLM
Active Participant

Ok, I've prepared something quickly.

Simplified (one color only) example of the aim:

example.jpg

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

I'm declining this idea due to lack of community support.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver