LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteenSchmidt

Add a generic or adapt-to-datatype control/indicator

Hi.

I often make code that can handle many different types of input data - code that obtains queues, functional globals that just stores data and doesn't operate on it and so on. Usually I can get along by using poly-VIs, but many times I could save a tremendous amount of code if I had a generic-type control, or a control that adapted at edit-time to the wired data type. I could also much more easily re-use poly-VIs inside other poly-VIs (to obtain variability on more than one input, without making all permutations of instances).

Second best would be something like a generic cluster control/indicator, since I can't make a poly-VI that takes a cluster of a type I don't know when I make the poly-VI. And what would be the odds of me knowing the type of any cluster before someone using my toolset defined that cluster?

This code snippet could replace an entire poly-VI (I know this snippet does nothing that the ordinary Obtain Queue doesn't do, but imagine that it did):

Generic.png

I'd expect a broken arrow if a generic input wasn't wired, even if it is only recommended or optional - the compiler needs to know the data type to determine default values, available methods, to select other poly-VI instances down the wire etc. A VI with a generic control on its FP wouldn't work as a dynamic VI obviously, unless someone comes up with something clever (it's late here in Denmark, so I'm somewhat below par on brilliance right now Smiley Very Happy)

There are probably a zillion pitfalls in this, and it'll be both risky and time consuming to implement (it impacts almost everything in LabVIEW), so let's see how far we get. Anybody else in need of this feature?

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
8 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This has been asked before. The earliest is here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Provide-a-better-way-to-implement-a-polymorphic-VI/idi...

I don't think it's quite the same. The gist behind it, maybe, but definetely not the description.

I'm asking about a generic control/indicator, like Jim Kring mentions in his comment in the post you link to. Not limited to a special way of doing poly-VIs (but enabling smarter poly-VIs for sure), and not with a constraint of having to define which types or even classes are allowed.

A generic control/indicator. Period.

Cheers

Steen

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Steen: whether you get that from the description or not, the other idea is exactly the same as what you're requesting here.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Also, look at this for another element of the picture - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Developers-Feature/Now-available-for-download-quot-Randomize-1D-Arra...

Stephen, I understand that the sum of that post + its comments includes what I'm suggesting also, but when you see the heading + original idea description by Dany Allard only it's by no means obvious that that idea could include a generic control/indicator. And the heading + description is what people mainly award kudos on basis of, since that is what is visible directly from the LabVIEW Idea Exchange topic list. Of course you at NI extract all available info when evaluating the requests, including the info in the comments - but it'll be invisible to the users who put the ideas at the top of the list in the first place, by awarding kudos.

On the other hand I'm totally in favor of not swamping this Idea Exchange with all sorts of permutations over the same ideas, so I'll post my suggestion as a comment to the duplicate idea. And now my new "duplicate" post will hopefully catch somebody's attention, and make even more people kudo Dany's idea Smiley Happy.

Can you disclose any info on how this suggestion has progressed thus far through NI R&D? It has been two years since it was brought up (we can just continue in the other thread if you feel like adding anything)...

Take care,

Steen

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Can you disclose any info on how this suggestion has progressed thus far

> through NI R&D? It has been two years since it was brought up (we can just

> continue in the other thread if you feel like adding anything)...

When R&D says "short term", we mean 2 to 3 years. This is on the medium term list. We've done more work on this, but it is not the top priority. I know -- that's an eternity to you as users of LabVIEW. But medium term is good... there are some features that are highly kudos'd on the forums that I have out around 10 to 12 years. There's only so much development bandwidth that we have.

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

I think that's actually quite positive. As I mentioned I see this as a big task, so I didn't expect it to happen anytime soon. I'm also aware of the current balance between features and stability leaning towards the latter, so I'm pleased that it's even considered.

Thanks for the heads-up. Remember me when you need beta testers for this Smiley Wink.

Cheers,

Steen

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)