LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hooovahh

LabVIEW Search Should Find Error Ring Text

I use Error Rings for custom errors and I love it.  Being able to reuse existing codes but give addition information, or using extra string or numeric inputs makes my code more compact and readable.  But one thing I noticed is that if I perform a search in LabVIEW, it won't look at the text in the Error Ring.  Here is an example.

Error Ring Search 1.PNG

Even though my Error Ring contains the text "table" and it is even shown in the node, the LabVIEW search returns nothing.  There are times that my users get an error and they send it to me.  Then I will search for that text in my project only to find it isn't there.  But it is actually there, just hidden away inside the XNode that is the Error Ring.

Can we improve the LabVIEW search function to search inside Error Rings?

3 Comments
joerg.hampel
Active Participant

This is a duplicate of https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Make-text-search-look-inside-error-ring-constants/idi... which holds a little more information (tl;dr: might be difficult to implement)

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (Developer Experience that makes you smile )

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

Dang thanks.  I did a search first but didn't find it.  With those key words I kept finding the search function on the Error Ring itself.  The other kicker is that I already had your idea kudo'd.

Darren
Proven Zealot