LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Reinitialize Probes

Oftentimes, I'll use a probe simply to see if code has executed, waiting for the probe value to change from "Not Executed" to the value on the wire once it's first executed. Having a "Reinitialize" or "Reset to 'Not Executed' " context menu item would make debugging iterations faster.

ReinitializeProbe.png

9 Comments
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast
I need this feature, all the time.  I might even post it to the Idea Exchange myself someday so that Jack can tell me he already did 😉
muks
Proven Zealot
Nice idea. I will def use this. Kudos
CrystalTech
Yes, Kudos!
LabBEAN
Active Participant

Good one...

I was just looking for "Reinitialize" (again) today.  Could we get a "Reinitialize All" option (e.g. button, context item) too?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Good idea with the "Reinit All", which brings up an idea that would make the interface cleaner... rather than having a Context Menu item for "Reinit", it may be more natural to have a toolbar button. That way, different probes could be arbitrarily selected to be reinitialized (just as you can CTRL+Select and SHIFT+Select to "Remove Selected Probes" and "Open in New Window")

ReinitializeProbes.png 

So, let's vote: what do you like better, toolbar or Context Menu? My vote is for toolbar. 

elset191
Active Participant
Both.  That way if you only want to do one you can right click it, and presumably your mouse has much less travel to perform the operation.
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@elset191: Ahhh, yes. Both. That's the current behavior anyway... the actions "Remove" and "Open in New Window" reside as a button and a Context Menu item. So, my vote is for both places to maintain consistency.

*** EDIT: And at this point a vote is moot: the correct solution (it's not an opinion anymore) would be to maintain consistency by putting the action as both a Context Menu and as a toolbar button. ***

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 05-28-2010 09:04 AM
guangdew1
Active Participant

I like the idea, no matter a menu item or a toolbar button. Buttons are more convenient.

LennartM

Was also annoyed by this. But this has been an idea already since 2010..