LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattjsimps

Allow comparison of Labview Project file

One of the (frankly many) ways that the Labview Compare Heirachy could be improved is to add support for comparing actual projects.

For instance, I might want to see at a glance what is different between two build specs, or whatever.

At the moment, this leaves me reaching for BeyondCompare (other diff tools are availableSmiley Happy

5 Comments
stbe
Active Participant

Actually, the project files (.lvproj) are text (xml) files and can easily be compared using any (svn-)diff program. But understanding what the lines stand for requires some more knowledge.

In addition, I specify my lvproj files as binary files since version control usually messes around when I changed something within the project (updating a checked out version several times destroyed my project ...).

So I vote in favour of a compare tool that shows the differences of anything that can be part of the project description (even FPGA IOs ...)

Hi,

Yes, I vote for the same. I am going to compare two versions of a project for verification purposes (find differences from version 1 to version 2) so this will happen several times in the future.

/thomas

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Doing a simple compare of LabVIEW XML files fails regularly.

Since typical comparisons are done on a file-position basis, things like inserting a target in a project can really mess up and standard comparison.  A LV comparison tool would need to recognise such contexts and perform the comparison accordingly.

Don't even get me started on SVN's automatic .lvproj merge attempts.... 😞

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Thomas,

You haven't voted for the same.  You say you are, but just creating the message isn't the same as voting.

Who need to actually click on the Kudo star next to the idea to register your vote!

Thomas@DVel

sorry, done.

/thomas