LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter-R

Change (Increase) Cursor size within LabVIEW

Wouldn't it be great if you could change the size (and other properties) of your cursor, as you can outside of LabVIEW? Let's bump this idea and see it in a future release of LabVIEW! 

size.png

--
Peter Rifken - Field Engineer & Business Manager
Boston / North New England & Maine
14 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

I never felt the need to change the size of the cursor. Typically, programs that warp too many things can be confusing to the user because they make the user experience inconsistent.

What exactly do you mean by "...as you can outside LabVIEW...".

Are you talking about accessibilty features? Other programming environments?

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I believe you should be able to load custom cursors. Doesn't this handle most of the cases where this would be needed?

Scaling pointers is an option visually impaired LabVIEW developers would find useful. I'm referring to the pointers you use to build your block diagrams (see below), as those don't change when you make changes to your default pointer in your system settings (to my knowledge). As of yet, I have not figured out how to load customer cursors into LabVIEW, as tst suggested. This would be a great help to some of the LabVIEW developers I have worked with. If you know how to do this, please let me know. 

Regards,

Peter

pointers.png

--
Peter Rifken - Field Engineer & Business Manager
Boston / North New England & Maine
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Yes, I was talking about run-time cursors, not the IDE ones. LV in general does not seem very well suited to people with eyesight worse than 20/20. Enlarging the cursor would help some of that, but not all. My zoom idea was also supposed to help with that, but it looks like NI wasn't quite happy with the idea.

It's possible that people with such issues should just use a magnifier software when using LV and have it on the entire screen.

I suffer from Retinitis Pigmentosa and it would be a huge help to make the tools/pointers larger.  I modify my cursors in the OS to use very large images that I can find and track on the screen.  This seems like it should be a small change ... but I know the devil is always in the detail.

lshi

It'll be great if labview can do this, and also allow changes to the size of the cursor at run-time. The "load cursor vi" currently can load customized cursor, however only in the default system size of windows (32x32 or 64x64 as maximum I believe).

scps

I completely support the idea. My colleague finds it difficult to see the tools,terminals in the labview. It would be very helpful for people like him if feature of zooming the display in labview is enabled. I hope NI does something about this.

Tom_Powers

I am using a 14" laptop, when at home and on travel, that has 2560 x 1440 resolution.  It is next to impossible to see the little cross when I am on the front panel.  While zoom on the block diagram, like most every other graphics package has, would be great.  It still would not fix the size of the cursors.  The easy approach would be to link the cursor symbol size to that for Windows either that or make it a separate item in the options menu.

Thank goodness I normally develop on 24 inch monitors with lesser resolution.

koekiegie

I totally support this idea. It is now almost impossible to use a high resolution screen as the cursor get very very small.

MacGeezer

It would be nice to make the editor crosshair just a little larger. I'm using multiple monitors and my eyes aren't getting any better. Thanks